Startup tank - 4ft

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PeterL, 31 Mar 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

Let us run a scenario and see what people have to offer...

Lets say I am starting a 4ft tank, I want both hard and soft corals and some fish, I have the tank standing on a frame, it has a 100mm section as a side mounted filter, the tank has no overflow holes drilled so my first impression is going with an overflow sytem of sorts - so - other than asking 1000's of questions and getting nowhere fast, what do I do other than stare and this empty glass box which I am invisiging as the creation of art in who knows how long from now.:p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

I'll let the experts answer the overflow question. Just remember that the two different types of Corals you wanna go for, are going to have chemical warfare. I'd start thinking of a good skimmer

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

So in that case I may have a vision which is going to cause conflict? Would it then not be maybe better in choice to chose a style of coral to rather work with and stick to that? In either side, soft or hard corals, both have really stunning different species but I don't want to feel too restricted at the same time as building something awsome to look at once completed - then again, is a tank in a home ever really complete? I have heard of 5-6 year old tanks where the people are still making mods and just tweeking here and there as they go or they just want a variation or change.

Lets not divert though from the main topic, so let me put this next thing into the topic to help those who would be in this situation. Lets say I don't have an open bank balance so I need to either save for the very expensive stuff or I need to find an alternate solution. You started with the skimmer so lets run with that for now, people talk about a skimmer but how do I know what size I need because very second pet shop wants my $$$ and they all want me to take the biggest one which I could afford even if I took a second bond on my house, what do I do now?? This skimmer needs to do the job right first time around, what would be the correct thing to do on a limited budget - no giving up, this fictitious tank is going to get built, come rain or shine :)

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Hey Clam
    Upload some pics of the tank ...so that we can see how this box next to the tank looks like....perhaps you can drill a whole at its bottom and then use it as an overflow.

(i have to see how it looks before i can tell you what to do....i cant visualize what you say...im more a "prentjie" kind of guy)

Then you will have to add a sump

Basic sump is 3 chambers:
    1- skimmer ( in your case a ts1 or orca 80)
    2- Dsb (Deep Sand Bed.12cm thick with sugar fine sand/araganite)
    3- return pump and all chemical filters( carbon en phos reactores)

I had a 4ft tank a couple of years back and i had a ts1 on it....it worked like a dream for me...i had a full on mixed tank....softies ,LPS and Sps....but i had to do a 10-15% wc evey week....i alos only had 4 fish in the setup to keep the bio load down.

So if i where you and i had to do the whole 4ft setup from scrath i would have gone for the orca-80.....(due to it almost being the same size...but will pull out double wat the TS1 can do for only R300-R400 more)

Hope this helps for something:)

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I will try get pics.
    Remember the forum here is for an ida for newbies to get a feel on how to consider setting it all up when he/she picks up the junkmail and goes out and buys an empty tank and wants to go saltwater aquarium but doesn't know where to start.

If the 4ft comes over as an awkward size tank to work with, would there be a better recommendation in tank size to work with? I am guessing slightly bigger for less chemical complications???

Talk like this makes me want to source an empty stand alone tank and start from scratch...the financial side of things stops my thoughts as they happen though;)

7. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Well if you look at all aspect. i found that a 1.5m X 0.6m X 0.6m was the most economical and user friendly. If you where to buy lights for a 4 ft they fit on the 5ft no problem if you where to buy a good skimmer it would be rated between 400l and 800l and on average so would alot of your equipment. Can you give us a budget for this mock system to figure out the basic's behind it.

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Lets go with maybe R5000 to start with then only a few R100's to make use of or save each month, lets assume a peson doesn't have a great deal of "spare" money.

9. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Will give it some thought

Last edited: 1 Apr 2010
  10. mnd123

mnd123

I have a 4ft tank complete for sale (when I say complete, it is complete: tank, drilled with overflow, 2 sumps, 6 x 54W t5's, 4 SEIO M820 powerheads, return pump, TS1 skimmer, heater etc in a cabinet for R3k, so your R5k budget will get a second hand tank on the forum very easily - you may even get some MH for that price.

Recent Posts