Reef Maniac

Starting With Marines

1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Reef Maniac submitted a new Showcase Item:

Starting With Marines

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Mar 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Great advice there reef maniac!
    Watching the tank for hours is so damn true!

Charlene Snyders likes this.
  4. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Excellent thread mate...:thumbup:

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks, guys. This is an old article which has been on MASApedia since it's inception. Viper asked that we transfer the articles to this forum, so that's what I've done...

Hennie

6. Annoying

Annoying

Wow great thread .Darn if I only read this before I started my first tank...

7. Jacojs

Jacojs

Hi.

Great info thanks :thumbup:

Just a quick if dumb question. With regards to the Deep live sand bed filtration, is that in the display tank or in the sump? Sorry but us noobs are slowly learning :whistling:

Thanks.
    Jaco.

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It can be in both, but in the display if you have burrowing creatures you might get rock falls and you'll also have less surface area or even a chance that the sand might be disturbed. Here is a few links from Oom Hennies corner in the forums - you should find info in there on DSB's

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=2666

9. Dorry_

Dorry_

Dorry (A very,very new Reefer!)

Wat an excellent article. Whether old article or not! We have just set up our tank this week. So we are still watching for any change (apparently change is good) in the tank. We dont intend in stocking the tank before all is well - a month or so!!! Of all the articles, yours have been extremely knowledgeable. Thank:thumbup:

10. Reef Maniac

My pleasure, Dorry :)

Hennie

11. IN_D_N-OH_SHUN

IN_D_N-OH_SHUN

I'm wondering how the establishment of a Algae filled refugium changes your schedule / cycle!? My thought is that by establishing a well planted refugium, with live rock, etc. , the bio mass gets established much sooner. Anaerobic & aerobic bacteria are quickly established. Together with a plenum, which I will be using, (Jaubert system) the "cycling" /" nitrification phase is practically non-existant" ( Quote - "The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium" by Vincent B. Hargreaves, p. 38, 1st full paragraph). It is thus, my understanding that I can significantly speed the "cycle" process via building a Plenum & refugium in my system. This would seem to be reinforced by Philip Hunt in his book - "The Marine Reef Aquarium" . Mr. Hargreaves goes on to state that the "denitrifying potential of such a system is greatly increased,which brings about a drastic reduction in nitrate levels. No readable nitrate is present in the water when the system is fully functional." Even the buffering capacity is improved, providing a more stable pH! The plenum may be established in the Sump if desired, thus saving swimming space for our fine Finned friends & inverts, brittle & serpent stars, etc. can be used as marine rototilers in the sump/refugium, that might otherwise be eaten in the main tank. Allowing amphipods & other small crustaceans to be established early on will provide a food source for later tank inhabitants. It all sounds like a pretty winning deal to me!
    Since my tank is drilled ( bottom), I intend to expand on a theme & use both a sump and a refugium, thereby increasing my total water volume within my system , which in turn will allow me slightly more fish. I may even later expand the plumbing into an additional reef. My water source is just around the other side of the wall, so with appropriate testing/ treatment , I may even be able to rig a automatic top off system.
    I'll keep you posted on how this works out. I invite feedback & input! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Sep 2010
  12. Reef Maniac

I believe that the information you are quoting is pretty old, but even if not, I must disagree to a point. Anaerobic bacteria grow/populate their niche much slower than aerobic bacteria, and I have not read any scientific studies which showed that a plenum would speed up this process (I also cannot think of a good biological reason why this would be so...)

Having a refugium with lots of actively growing macro algae would of course help a lot in reducing nitrate & phosphate, and as such could "speed up" the process if one only considered these two parameters. Unfortunately the chemical and biological actions/reactions in our tanks are very complex, and a properly matured system would "cover" much more than just these parameters. Also, one should consider "worst case" scenarios - your speeded-up system might be OK to sustain life whilst everything is 100%, but the death of e.g. a snail or other smallish creature might cause a "mini-spike" which could push the immature tank over the edge because it still lacks in biological and bio-chemical stability.

It's obviously your decision, but consider that a marine tank is a long-term hobby and investment, so what do you really gain by trying to save a few weeks at the beginning of your tank's "life"...

The combined experience of most long-term successful hobbyists show that patience is one of the most critical ingredients needed for success.

Hennie

13. jacoc

jacoc

this is so dam simple and good i enjoyed reading this...where was this artical when i started....

14. Reef Maniac

Thanks for the kind words, Jaco :)

Hennie

Dane and jacoc like this.
  15. Dane

Dane

Nice to see this popping up. Hope you don't mind if I link to this as part of my thread. Thanks again for a great article.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

very good read :) .. Reef maniac, you should add this to your signature so new people can read it

17. Reef Maniac

I won't mind at all, Dane - feel free :)

(A bit of useless information: this "article" has been translated into at least four other languages, and has been published, with and without my permission, on quite a few other forums/BB's around the world. I really don't mind, if it can help a beginner, and hopefully save some livestock)

Due to a very heavy work load, I don't post enough to really make it worth while - and (truth be told) I'm too modest to "advertise" my own...

Hennie

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I'm doing that Oom Hennie, link is in my signature for a year or two already and always advising beginners to read it. :)

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011
  19. Reef Maniac

Thanks, Tobes.

Hennie

20. Completebeginner

Completebeginner

Thanks very much reef maniac. I've just got my first marine tank and found this extremely helpful. I plan on referring back to it a lot.
    Just a couple of questions if I may. 1 how long should the dead prawns be left in the tank, and 2 how often should I change the 10 to 20% of the water whilst I'm waiting on. The tank to cycle/ before I add live stock.
    Thanks again Jamie

21. Reef Maniac

Hi Jamie, and WELCOME to Masa and to this great hobby.

This would depend on many things, including the size of the tank, and on how many fish you plan to add (and how quickly). As a generaql rule, you should leave it in until there is a high reading of nitrites, and the nitrates have started to increase. After removing it, you will then have to wait another few weeks until the ammonia and nitrite levels have dropped to zero, and (preferably) the nitrate level has started to drop.

That would depend on the amount and quality of live rock you have. Many people don't do any partial water changes whilst cycling, but I believe that the life on/in the live rock is pretty valuable, and that frequent partial water changes will go a long way to saving many of these critters. Once a week will be very good, but you should let the ammonia and nitrite levels guide you.

Hennie

Recent Posts