Starting up info

Reaction score
Hi guys

I bought a Boyu TL-450 which i setup two weeks ago.I just want to find out the "tricks" of it, i have put in an extra pump to help with the flow. I'v heard people saying that they have taken out the sponge of example, what else should i do?
One more thing, how will i know the tank is ready?

Thanks!

Hi Shaun - thanks for starting off a thread to share with us...

OK - here's my bit of advice, regarding nano's (I don't and never have owned one - I only have a 1.2 metre and a 2 metre tank).....

OK - yes - people remove the sponges in the rear, and replace it with small pieces of live rock.

Also - if you want to add another power-head (more flow is ALWAYS good), look at one of the following types:
1) SunSun (cheap - looks good and seems to work well)
2) Tunze Nano-stream
3) SEIO M-260 up to M-820's

These will give you the best flow that you would require to be successful. The SunSun's and the SEIO's are the most cost-effective....

I would suggest getting 2 of these pumps/power-heads, and placing them at an angle crossing each other (one on each side).....

Also - if you want to keep slightly more advanced corals, you will HAVE TO replace the lighting/globes and/or upgrade the lights.... Have a look at Matt's 550 - he did some really awesome modifications to his nano tank....

Also have a look at "Quinton's Nano" in the nano tanks thread/forum.....

Welcome, and read read read as much as possible before adding livestock. You do not want to kill your first possesions.
About another 6 weeks, depending what you have setup in there now.
At least some substrate (if you want it) and some LiveRock. and then you wait.

Hi guys

I bought a Boyu TL-450 which i setup two weeks ago.I just want to find out the "tricks" of it, i have put in an extra pump to help with the flow. I'v heard people saying that they have taken out the sponge of example, what else should i do?
One more thing, how will i know the tank is ready?

Thanks!

You cycle it with good quality live rock and wait 4-6 weeks. Test your water inbetween and only when the parametres are all OK then you add a clean up crew (hermit crabs and snails), let it run another week or 2, then add fish (slowly, 1-2 fish every 2 weeks). Just be patient, hurrying up mother nature is not a good thing, she will turn around and spank your :asshole:

Hello Shaundaws and welcome to MASA,

I also run a Boyu TL450 . I'm sure you've looked at some of the threads from Matt & Quinton.

However, here's what I've done to my Nano sofar:

1. Remove ALL sponges and bioballs
2. First compartment : Used eggcrate(light diffuser) or similar material to create a platform. Filter floss goes in here. This is on top of the UV sterelizer and skimmer intake
3. 2nd compartment : Just the skimmer. I use filter floss which I stuff down the sides of the skimmer. Helps with reducing the amount of bubbles in your DT and also helps the workings of the skimmer.
4. 3rd compartment: Heater only
5. Fourth compartment : I placed a little 700l/h pump in here together with some Chemi-Pure Elite( Carbon & Phosphate remover compound). The pump outlet is connected to the spraybar.
5. Inside the DT I have 1 x Seio M620 for increased flow. Works great :thumbup:

Just a note: The filter floss needs to be replaced every 3 days, otherwise you are going to create a nitrate bomb in your tank

Here's a link to one of my threads. May give you some more ideas.

My Nano ... has started ! (Finally) - Nano Tanks

Hope this helps.

Good luck and enjoy !:)

oh, and one more thing:

I currently am still running with the 2 x 18W PC fluorescents that came with the tank.
I'm upgrading these at the end of Jan to 2 x 24W PC fluorescents.

You don't have enough space unfortunately with the existing reflector in the TL450 to add more tubes unless you seriously modify the reflector.

When buying the tubes try and get electronic ballasts for them. They are smaller than the magnetic ballasts and also generate less heat. ;)

Hi Shaun - thanks for starting off a thread to share with us...

OK - here's my bit of advice, regarding nano's (I don't and never have owned one - I only have a 1.2 metre and a 2 metre tank).....

OK - yes - people remove the sponges in the rear, and replace it with small pieces of live rock.

Also - if you want to add another power-head (more flow is ALWAYS good), look at one of the following types:
1) SunSun (cheap - looks good and seems to work well)
2) Tunze Nano-stream
3) SEIO M-260 up to M-820's

These will give you the best flow that you would require to be successful. The SunSun's and the SEIO's are the most cost-effective....

I would suggest getting 2 of these pumps/power-heads, and placing them at an angle crossing each other (one on each side).....

Also - if you want to keep slightly more advanced corals, you will HAVE TO replace the lighting/globes and/or upgrade the lights.... Have a look at Matt's 550 - he did some really awesome modifications to his nano tank....

Also have a look at "Quinton's Nano" in the nano tanks thread/forum.....

Thanks for the tips!

Hello Shaundaws and welcome to MASA,

I also run a Boyu TL450 . I'm sure you've looked at some of the threads from Matt & Quinton.

However, here's what I've done to my Nano sofar:

1. Remove ALL sponges and bioballs
2. First compartment : Used eggcrate(light diffuser) or similar material to create a platform. Filter floss goes in here. This is on top of the UV sterelizer and skimmer intake
3. 2nd compartment : Just the skimmer. I use filter floss which I stuff down the sides of the skimmer. Helps with reducing the amount of bubbles in your DT and also helps the workings of the skimmer.
4. 3rd compartment: Heater only
5. Fourth compartment : I placed a little 700l/h pump in here together with some Chemi-Pure Elite( Carbon & Phosphate remover compound). The pump outlet is connected to the spraybar.
5. Inside the DT I have 1 x Seio M620 for increased flow. Works great :thumbup:

Just a note: The filter floss needs to be replaced every 3 days, otherwise you are going to create a nitrate bomb in your tank

Here's a link to one of my threads. May give you some more ideas.

My Nano ... has started ! (Finally) - Nano Tanks

Hope this helps.

Good luck and enjoy !:)

Great thanks!

welcome to masa shaun, nice to have you here.
there are a numebr of mods you can do to nano's and appollo's done most i should think:) its a great idea to do these while you wait for the cycle to go, it speeds it up (well makes the wait less painful) :)

Welcome Shaun :)

Back
Top Bottom