Starting Up a Little Project

The animals in you tank use the minerals and chemicals in the water, like your own body, do grow and stay alive, they also poo in the water and not all is removed by chemical and mechanical action, so you need to remove 10% water and add same volume new water.
In a small system it would be better to do 15 - 20% water change.
Someone said:
Dilution is the best solution to polution
and that is what you are doing by water changes.

sorry, the water change is once a week,
i see you are in strand, why not go chat to FransSny of DorryPets.

HUH ? Help me understand this quickly ? Why would I need to change the water every week ? Would this be initially or would it be something permanent ? Why would there be a difference in the costs ? Does pet shops normally offer cheaper rates on water if you buy the tanks at there stores ?

I would have asked these questions once i bought the tank. but i might as well ask it now. What would I need to do once I bought the tank to start off, I read the article on your site , but it seems like i need a chemical eng degree to understand half of what that guy is trying to explain :)

BURT, can I not come and chat to you ?

WELCOME Rabbit, firstly that is a good price for the tank....BUT those systems have limitations.

Secondly from your posts I see you are a bit in the dark about what is going on in the hobby, I would suggest see if the person would take a holding deposit for a few days and read up (on MASA ofcourse) as much as you can regarding what it takes to maintain a good Marine setup

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice, I think i'll do just that, Where are you based Frans ?

Cool , as the saying goes " only bad things happen quickly in marines".

I am that side more or less once a week to do maintenance on a clients tank ...we can always meet up for a :peroni:, otherwise I am in Brackenfell or just call / mail me 084 406 2981 / frans@dorrypets.co.za.

IMHO the FIRS thing to decide on is the time & budget factor. Then what is your long term goal (in terms of what you want to keep) then go tp planning a tank. What looks cool / cheap now might kost you an arm and a leg long run.

A well designed setup will bring you much more joy than an impulse buy

Point taken, I understand that this is a long term process. What I would like to start off with is something small for now that looks nice, but easier to maintain. And grow the tanks contents along with my experience.

The Tank I'm wanting to buy is in Kraainfontein, Do you operate from home or store. maybe I can meet up with you tommorow briefly to chat.

HUH ? Help me understand this quickly ? Why would I need to change the water every week ? Would this be initially or would it be something permanent ? Why would there be a difference in the costs ? Does pet shops normally offer cheaper rates on water if you buy the tanks at there stores ?

I would have asked these questions once i bought the tank. but i might as well ask it now. What would I need to do once I bought the tank to start off, I read the article on your site , but it seems like i need a chemical eng degree to understand half of what that guy is trying to explain :)

BURT, can I not come and chat to you ?
you are welcome , just pm me ,im here now at the house

Have you bought the tank yet rabbit? does it include a protein skimmer? IMO that tank is a good buy, excellent nano tank to maintain but as the other dudes said, water changes :whistling: Have a talk with burt, he'll give you some solid info

Hi Guys, I finally found the tank I'm looking for. I'm in need of some help. Is there anyone that know's where I can rent/borrow 4 holding cans (25L jerry cans) for water ? I bought a 8 month old tank and would like to keep most of the water.

The total water that needs to be transported would be 120L. I think it would be a waste to buy these cans for a couple of hours.

Bert has offered to help me setup the tank to oversee if I'm doing everything right. :thumbup:

I'm in the helderberg area

hi there rabbit, get yourself the 25liter cans, you need them when doing water changes and buying of ro water

Hey Gents,

Finally have some time to post an update on my tank. :biggrin:

All went well with the install, many thanks to Burt for all the help :)

I need to get some extra testing equipment this week.

I'll be posting some pics soon.

I'm planning to start a little Arduino Project to control my setup. any suggestions on this will be much appreciated.

34344c55b98cf1ec8.jpg
34344c55b958e3673.jpg
34344c55b92c2642f.jpg

One of the bumps on of the clowns developed. The owner says this was developed from stress of the moving. What could I use to get rid of this ?

I don't think it is stress, possibly an injury, hard to say. I would just wait and see what happens. If you get a chance, take a closer picture of it.

I don't think it is stress, possibly an injury, hard to say. I would just wait and see what happens. If you get a chance, take a closer picture of it.

I would If I could get the clown to be still :)

I'll try and get some more this evening.

The Damsel is fine! when I got home lastnight, She was full of colour, looks like she gets her blue from the light ?

I'm thinking this as this morning she looked pale again. I turn off the tanks lights at night.

Back
Top Bottom