Starting over

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ImAClown, 28 Mar 2009.

1. ImAClown

ImAClown

Hi guys

Like some of you might know, I had a struggling battle with gha. I'm happy to say that it's going much better with algae problem, theres no gha growing on the LR - there is some plain green algae showing up on the glass and brown algae on the substrate.

I removed all the seramic rings and lava rock- the ammonia is still testing 0 after I removed it. I'm redesigning my sump to go with a DSB.

So here's the thing:
    Since I'm gonna be spending a lot of time modifying my sump and placing my livestock in another system, should I perhaps remove my substrate and clean it thoroughly ? The reason I want to do this is because the substrate is extremly dirty. I have no idea how it got this dirty. (The substrate was used in a previous system. I rinsed it endlessly, but maybe it wasn't enough. I didn't know too much back then)

When I stir up the substrate, even just a little, there's and incredible amount detritus and dirt ending up in the water column. Not nearly as little as when I do the same with my nano, which is running a higher bioload and been established for the same time. My nano is running perfectly while the 90g is just giving problems. I think it's cursed.

After I've removed the substrate I think I'm gonna go bare bottom for a while until all the algae problems are gone. I think there's still some detritus in the LR because when I blow the LR with a PH there's most of the time white stuff blowing out of it and I don't want it to get caught up in the substrate again.

I hope all of that make sense!

Thank you masa for everything so far, you've been of tremendous help!

Btw I accidentally dropped my queen skimmer today - the clamp broke right off. I don't know whether I should be sorry or jumping with excitement. So I'm looking for a new skimmer aswell- so far I'm gonna go for the ts2.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I am a clown..... I know all about detritus in the dsb. Even though some people tells me that I should not do it, I "rake" the top +-1.5cm of my DSB in my tank, every now and again, using my "plastic hand" (aquarium tool ;))....

This does indeed release a LOT of crap into my tank - it then takes about 30 to 40 minutes for the water to clear up. During this time, ALL my filter feeders get's the meal of a life time.... I do this often, to ensure that the top bit of by DSB stays oxygenation.... yes - I do disturb a bit of worms... and other critters - but I then feed my tank tremendously doing this.

So, in my humble opinion, is this a VERY good thing to do...

And w.r.t the TS2 skimmer - you won't be sorry mate! Go for it!

4. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Thanks jacquesb, but I'm talking about my main tanks substrate, which is not a dsb :( It's crushed coral, about 3-4 cm. What I had in mind was to literally remove all the substrate and cleaning it with ro/di water - it will kill all the benificial bacteria (i think) but IMO the LR is currently responsible for the biological filtration. I don't have a DSB, my new sump will have one though.

What do you guys think about the orca-80-int skimmer? How does it compare to the ts2 ?

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

I would get rid of the crushed coral, horrible stuff.

I recently saw the Aqua Medic Aragonite, very nice stuff :)

6. ImAClown

ImAClown Thread Starter

Horrible in the way that it's an awesome detritus collector ? :D Or is there more down sides ? Will it help to clean it completely until I can afford aragonite ? It's kinda expensive isn't it ?

7. crispin

crispin

well if that cat little like substrate is giving you so much trouble it would make sence to replace it, but for my mind i would spend my money oin getting a decent skimmer first and then look at replacing the substrate. perhaps a BB is a good idea for a while, but be careful of swapping too much substrate around, its got to be done slowly overtime so that the LR as your filtration can handle the disturbed loads this will cause.

Also try get a decent skimmer in before you are disturbing the snad bed

Recent Posts