Starting Out

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by DeanKoupe, 16 Mar 2012.

1. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe

Hi all

I've become totally obsessed with marine aquaria, the two pet shops I've been to, stock the JBJ NANO CUBE 28g CF QUAD.

Is this a quality aquarium, and is it something good to start out with?

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated!!! :)

Thanks guys.
    Dean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome dude. Ideally a good starter size is a 4ft tank with a sump. Have a look in the for sale section, there are some awesome deals

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Small Tanks require more "work"...Salinity can increase at an alarming rate...due to size...same with Temp...and also all the Water Parameters you need to maintain...so "work" would be more frequent checking and top-ups(RO water)...I'm sitting with a small 58L BOYU Nano and I do Salinity checks every few hours and constantly monitor my Temp...housewife...so I can do that...another downfall to small Tanks is the "heat" factor...if it's T5's you will have a heat problem...and if it's a "hooded" Tank...even worse..!!! That's why the majority will say a bigger Tank...in a nutshell...the more water the better...you have ALOT more "play" with bigger Tanks...500ml evaporation on a small 58L is SERIOUS but would hardly have an impact on a ..say 350L Tank...same with Temp...water parameters...see where I'm going with this...;) The thing to remember is also the "cost" factor...bigger the Tank...the more expensive it will be...Buying Saltmix is the 1st thing that comes to mind...:p..I see you went thru some of the "Newbie" Links..so I'll bypass them...but not sure if you went thru these...
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

Belinda you are on the ball again! Dont ever leaaaaave!!!!!!!

6. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

I really like the plug and play kits though, the RedSea Max also looks amazing, but the price is quite crazy!!! ...

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, great that you joined us. Before setting up tank, I suggest you read the link below on starting a marine tank - great info for beginners ;)

8. NickW

NickW

I agree with what @belindamotion said, just to add to that, also consider what fish you would like to keep,

Anything under about 50gal you can not keep tangs, butterfly fish etc, all the truly amazing marine fish. So if you had in mind of keeping those beautiful yellow tangs i would avoid looking at nanos as you will soon realize those fish need more swimming space and you will find yourself spending more money for a bigger tank.

First do some research on what fish you can keep in a nano, if you happy with that the choice is up to you.

Welcome to masa :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Jip, it is a very adictive hobby and once you are hooked you can't ever get it out of your system.

I would not start out with a nano, it will break your heart!
    Like the guys said, have a look at the for sale section.

This is not a cheap hobby, BUT WORTH EVERY CENT SPENT!

Best of luck with your quest!

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nano Cubes are nice. But can be a little bit more difficult to keep them stable. Water parameters in bigger tanks are easier to maintain than in nano and pico tanks. One dead snail and you see ammonia spikes where in bigger tanks it goes unnoticed. Ideal beginner tank in my opinion is 250L to 350L, max 500L.

I built up a nano end of last year and sold it. But must admit, the nano is fun and I liked the change. The plug and play options does make it easier.

Recent Posts