starting new tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Travis1, 15 Apr 2009.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

hi guys, my name is travis, im wanting to start a marine tank. have had one before, but am doing it again. i am really passionate about marine life. im in the process of buying a tank. quite a big tank. its 2.4m by 0.9m by 0.6m high. i am starting from scratch. could you guys assist me please? i want everything to be just perfect for the tank. where do i start? thanks. Travis

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

please could you help me urgently?

4. Tony

Tony

Welcome Travis. You seem to have the tank. Now do you have the following? If not you will eventually and we will help you to put things at the right time and place.

Sump
    Skimmer
    Lighting
    Stand for the tank
    Powerheads
    Return pump
    Gravel
    Live rock
    salt water

Do you know what type of tank you want. A fish only or full reef. This will affect the way you set things up and the expense.

These are your basics but you have a big system so you will have to spend quiet a bit to get the right stuff for your tank size. This isn't a cheap hobby and I'm not trying to scare you, just to do things right from the start so you don't end up with a garage full of crap that you don't need

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it here with us. Please read through my signature for some great info on how to start and the correct way to cycle a tank. Also ask here before buying something as it may save you a couple of $$$ - our advice is free ;). In order for you to have a sump it is ideal for the tank to have an overflow. Does this tank have one?

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

:welcometomasa1:Travis
    Nice size tank you are getting, what are your plans corals, fish etc.

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Travis welcome pal

8. crispin

crispin

Hello Travis :)

Welcome to MASA its great that you found us. Have a good long read through the new members threads, we have most of the normal hurdles experienced in there and you will find them invaluable :)

thats a lovely sized tank. Not huge, but easily managable and will give you lots of options with regards to diversity of corrals and fish should you want to go the Reef Rout. But as Tony says, its definatley worth your while to spend on the correct equipment now (second hand is often fine and far cheaper :)). The better you set the tank up to start with the easier your life will be. That includes your sex life :)

what have you got so far? Just a rectangular box of glass, or any other mofdifications with it? What thickness of glass, and is it braced at all ? IE, does it have an over flow? if so what does that look like?
    Does it have a stand? If so what are the dimensions?
    Do you have a sump? Do you know what sort of sump configaration you might need?
    Any other equipment lying around?

Ask all you want on MASA, we are here to help all we can. The advice might be blunt at times, but we are a group of passionate reefers who love the LS we keep in tanks. So the advice will be whats best for your tank. That oppsosed to a LFS that might say whats best bfor their sales.

There is a great classifieds section on MASA, do have a look through and post what you are looking for in there, also contact some of the sponsors, they really are the best in Marine stuff you will find :)

oh and its a great idea to take pics to show us, we can see far more than understand what you are describing, also great to have the tanks life logged and progressed as you go along :)

9. Travis1

marine tank

hey guys, unfortunately im putting the tank on hold for the moment. will definately still do it, but they doing renovations on my place very soon and i dont want to set things up and then have to take down again.this web site is awesome. what books can i read to better my knowlege about marine tanks in the mean time? i absolutely love the marine life, i find it so soothing and relaxing. and im very passionate about it. and thats what my passion in life is. cant wait to set up.

10. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

Thats a wise decision never rush things and dont do things impulsively good planing calls for a grate tank at the end of the day.

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Travis, firstly welcome.

Secondly .... this delay gives you a great oppertunity to buy a lot of the stuff second hand, slowly ....... will save you thousands !!

Also plenty work that can be done .... building the sump, rock stands, light pendants etc etc

12. Travis1

howsit guys im back, decided not to go with such a big tank at firts, but rather start off small, learn all the ins and outs and then build up slowly to a bigger and better tank. so far i have got a 4 foot tank which is set up for marine. gonna work on it slowly over a couple of months. in process of buying a 3ft tank to convert to a sump. so has anybody have any pics or any info on a basic sump design that i can work from.

13. Tony

Tony

Contrary to popular belief, smaller tanks are harder to maintain than larger tanks. Bigger tanks are far more stable because it takes time for things to go wrong with more water

14. crispin

crispin

Small tanks Big problems.

think about your decision a little more

15. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

A 4ft tank is a perfect size, once you've added your sump it will be much easier.

Here is a basic but functional design for a sump...

[​IMG]

17. seank

seank

Like the Marble Skimmer Dean;)

18. Travis1

thanks for the design viper. will be doing somethin along those lines. getting a custom made tank, slightly bigger than the 3 foot, making it bigger to have more water volume, and a bigger dsb:thumbup: maybe make the first chamber a bit smaller, due to using the external reeftek RS2 skimmer. therfore, even bigger dsb:biggrin:

19. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hey why dont you put an additional baffle infront of the dsb to gain some extra mechanical filtration. Drop a bag of bio bals in to float some filter matt on it. Like in the below pic.

20. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

like this
    [​IMG]

21. Travis1

howsit advdiver, im not really a fan of bio balls etc... at the moment just gonna stick to skimmer and dsb. is there anythin else you guys can suggest i add in the sump that is necessary aswell?

Recent Posts