Starting my Dsb cycle

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Wiley, 19 Mar 2012.

1. Wiley

Wiley

If my DT and my sump is set up I only need a skimmer can I start my cycle or not?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope
    You need the live rock.

Although we say we are cycling the water. We are actually trying to get rid of all the dead and decaying matter within the live rock. And we have to wait until all those dead bodies have been eaten by other organisms. We can hurry it along in a way with special start up bacteria doses, but we can not go faster than the time it takes for something to decompose.

4. Wiley

Wiley Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan

Was just wondering coz got everything except the skimmer! But I'll wait for it!

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Does that mean that you already have the live rock, and deep sand bed in the tank?

If yes, then your cycle has already started :)

If you only have a deep sand bed, and no live rock, then in my opinion you can start the cycle by adding a dead (food type) prawn or shrimp (depending on the size of your tank).

RiaanP is quite correct that the cycling of "nearly dead" live rock gets rid of the dead or decaying matter in the live rock. It is not, however, essential to have the live rock (or a skimmer, for that matter) in the tank before you start the cycle - in fact, a cycled DLSB would be very beneficial in saving much of the expensive life in/on the live rock, that would otherwise have been killed by a high ammonia/um and/or nitrite spike caused by the decaying matter in/on the rock.

Obviously, the addition of the live rock after the DLSB has cycled will cause a second cycle, but the toxic peaks of the previously mentioned ammonia etc. will be less, but the time before finally adding livestock will be extended due to the double cycle. In my opinion, this is, however, a good thing, as the tank will be more stable.

Hennie

6. mandrin

mandrin

hi hennie i am tagin....
    i jus started my 2nd tank 1 week.ago wit 6.6 kg LR and a DSB yesterday
    i added 1 kg LR from.my old tankafter one week gona add thevtest of the LR
    every week then on 3RD week gona add coral
    then fish and last the hermits an shrimp
    wat u think ....any suggestions

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

So you got new live rock, fresh from LFS in the tank.

Added 1 kg established rock from another stable system.

The cycle will not be that much faster. Remember in that 6.6kg new rock, you got dead copepods and sponges and whatever. the more porous the more things could be inside that is dead. That dead things must still get time to decompose, and to be eaten. Yes sure adding 1kg established rock will help in migration organisms to the new rock. To populate it faster. But you will still have a cycle. Maybe faster, maybe not. Depending on quality of new rock and on how many things are dead inside.

So, check the ammonia levels, before adding fish or corals.

8. mandrin

mandrin

ok Riaan P..... MAB I sud wait for 3 weeks
    waintin to get sea chem stability ...have u used it

Recent Posts