Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Zoom, 6 Nov 2008.

1. Zoom

Zoom

Hi guys i need some advise on LR . I bought some LR from LFS and Crispin advised me to post a picture of this rock and advise me if any of you have used it or it is any good

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zoom

Zoom Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. gemini9241

gemini9241

hmm not so sure there is not life on it that i can see i would say it would suit a fw tank it look to dense for lr is it very heavy for its size ?

5. Zoom

Zoom Thread Starter

No it not very heavy the LFs advised me that in two months it will look like real live rock what are your though Gem. Should a trash the stuff and go an get some reall Lr

6. gemini9241

gemini9241

ok so it not that dense does it crumble easy and did he pull it out of a water tank with other lr in it or was it stacked up dry ome where?

7. Zoom

Zoom Thread Starter

Yes it crumble easly.... I took it out the tank. So when I set up again ...Should i re use it. Brown Algae has started growing on it

8. gemini9241

gemini9241

i know that type of rock do a test with it get some ro water test the ro for no2 no3 and po4 then clean the rock with only water to get rid of the algae and put the rock in some ro water for 24hours and retest water to see if it leachs any thing in to the water that could also be ur no2 problem

9. Zoom

Zoom Thread Starter

Hectic I will do it right now and let you know tomorrow. By the way I picked up some lovely white rocks off the beach. Firstly is this allowed and secondly can i use it in my tank

10. gemini9241

gemini9241

how big s this white rocks i dont see a problem with it as u did not pull it off a reef but i think it is just for looks as i assume it is not like a type of sand stone u need proper lr for now i know a few places to get cheap but there are others saleingsome very nice mature lr for much cheaper than the lfs on this site

11. Mouse

Mouse

Hi Gemini

I am in JHB too and have just started cycling my tank and need to get some LR. I wanted to wait 2-3 days after the water went int before putting it in.

Can you PM me and recommend some places to get good LR from please?

Thanks a mill
    Mouse

12. Zoom

Zoom Thread Starter

We it look like a sand stone . I wnet into the Classifieds but none left I also sent out a post for live rock,,, No Luck So I guess I will have to go to the LFS any recormendations

13. gemini9241

gemini9241

hi mouse i get mine from the suppyer direct so u cant go to them your self but can get it for u last time i saw it was r75/kg for figi and philappen live rock before the rand tumble which is cheap considering that u pay +-r200/kg for the same rock at a lfs

14. Mouse

Mouse

thanks Gemini. Is this cured LR?

15. gemini9241

gemini9241

most of it is as they always get new stock and a lot stills for months in there tanks with workers only taking the new rock only they got some nice rock mine got sps on it for free but i do want to say plz look at the sponsers first as i don want to take bussiness away from them

16. gemini9241

gemini9241

zoom do the same tests on the white rock to . to see if it is safe and is the white rock pourus (SORRY SPELLING)

17. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmmm looks a little suspect.. but difficut to comment without a better pic.. it may very well be man made LR or rock that has been laying with LR.. difficult to tell kenyan LR is a greyinsh colour after well cured.. does not look like much but it blossoms with all sorts of corraline and micro life.. post another pic of the whole rock lets have a look.. but its shouldent crumble...

18. gemini9241

gemini9241

i know the rock it is a metamorfic rock i would say it wount be that good it is very brittle and has these chunks of hard igneass rock it is like mother natures mixed cement with sand and rock

19. crispin

crispin

you already know my thoughts on it...take the stuff back and tell that LFS to stop selling crap LR!!! :) oh and i still have little stones on my floor from touching that stuff. :)

ok ok i am a bachelour i dont own a vacume cleaner!

20. Rod

Rod

To follow on with this thread. I had a visit from Zoom yesterday at about 1500 hrs.
    I did two tests. This is what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She assures me the fish are or rather were alive and well, eating and behaving normally!
    I saw a sample of the rock, this is NOT lava rock, it is some form of slag. I am aware of it, won't use it myself and it is certainly not worth R160.00 a kg. ( I know the going price of it from the suppliers) My advice to Zoom: Take it back, get your money back!
    Why I wont use it is because it is untried.
    This begs the question, are the fish ok in these shocking conditions as a result of her using Organic Aqua?
    Perhaps in the course of the day Zoom will come on and tell us if her fish are still alive and well?
    I do a large number of Nitrite tests and this is possibly the worst I have ever seen!
    With only a few fish in an uncycled tank how did she get that high a nitrite?
    This is certainly worth following up on.
    Perhaps Crispin could visit her tank? She did go to his place, wher he tested for Nitrite.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2008
  21. gemini9241

gemini9241

oh dear this is bad i am sure it is the rock i am thinking (metamorfic) that is leeching all of this to water tests will soon show if she done the tests correctly

Recent Posts