Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Hammerhead, 12 Oct 2011.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi my name is Mohammed,and I reside in Durban, I used to own a 2m (FO) marine aqaurium and had to tear it down due to renovations, it wasnt a very pleasant experience due to lack of resouces and poor LFS advice. Actually I want to forget that whole experience and relearn things afresh, correctly this time perhaps. I will attempt to explain the little I know and hope the more experienced will be able to point out my shortcomings and possibly offer some advice.

I am wanting to reignite the passion I once had for reef tanks and wanting to do things right from the start with the right equipment, I do enjoy DIY and would prefer to do things myself interms of building the tank etc. Wanting to downscale I have opted to either build a 600X600X600 cube or get a conventional 4ft and convert.

My questions pertaining to the tank build first:

On a 600 high tank what thickness glass would suffice as i do not want to use the conventional cross brace. What other bracings could I use?, Ive seen tanks with bracing along the inside edge almost interlocked, any ideas as to how it is done? Pics will help.

secondly, for the wier I intend drilling the base of the tank and installing a durso standpipe, my qusetion is what diameter pvc (i will measure the OD of the fittings prior to drilling) would be sufficient for optimum flow from DT to sump, Ive used 50mm pvc in my past tank with external overflow boxes but i want to considerably reduce the noise this time round. Also could someone explain the components of the durso standpipe relative to the fittings available here in SA (the conventional ones available to me are the grey pvc ones uses in the A/C trade). If any one has a pic of the components used will really help.

Thirdly, I intend using a reef octupus tz2 skimmer. Will this be sufficienct for a 600 cube or a Std 4ft? also what sort of return pump capacity should i get to optimise the usage and flowrate over a DSB. (dont want to go too small, i.e smaller than the one supplied with skimmer, or too large that the DSB is not effective.

Fourthly, Lighting, I have about 10 single T5 fitting, the ones similar to unercounter lights, they entire fitting is about 2cm wide and about 55cm possibly 24w, they dont seem to have the chunky ballast those fitting used to come with and also have their own switches, will these be ok for 10k bulbs and actinics, dont want these fittings to underfire the pottential of the bulb and lose its efficiency, if that is even possible. I intend to use two white and two blue or even three if suggested, however i only wish to keep softies at this stage and grauate to stonies later.

Fifthly, being based in durban I have read on a few forums that collection of filtered water from Ushaka is possible, if so please could i get some direction as how I go about getting it. Top ups will be with RO from LFS.

Sixthly, how do auto topoff units work and were do i get the components to incorporate into a sump reservoir. I initially intended using an all plastic float switch plumbed from a gravity fed reservoir into the sump. same concept as a toilet cistern. I initially purchased this to use on my first build and stripped it and removed the filter, my concern was that the float switch (its actually an all plastic one for a toilet cistern) uses a rubber to stop the water flow and could deteriorate with salt water.

Ok too loaded for now, I await your advice and direction.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi there !

and welcome back to the hobby!
    1. for 600 here and no bracing i would go with 12mm glass
    2. 32mm for a durso will be great, going to have a corner overflow?
    3. yes a ts2 will be perfect for a 600 cube
    4. for a 600 tank you can use 24w T5 globes, they should work fine with those fittings, but i recommend a unit with reflectors
    5. from Jhb have no idea :)
    6. for auto-topoff i would get a float switch and a small powerhead then you wire the float into the pump cable to make and break the circuit, for added redundancy you can add 2 switches

6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

might do a corner or a rear centred box,

have to weight the options of cost of 12mm glass vs the use of 8mm with "euro bracing" i think thats what its called.

7. dallasg

i would even go 10mm with euro bracing, thats more than enough
    i have a 1000x500x700h made from 10mm braced, click my 3 side viewable link

Last edited: 12 Oct 2011
  8. Hammerhead

is the euro bracing just one 10mm piece around the internal perimeter i.e they overlap on two sides. What width should the brace be?

9. dallasg

yip thats it, mine are 5cm wide

10. FransSny

FransSny

Correct , I would make the bracing 80 mm wide

11. Hammerhead

thanks, ok so i have a few questions answered so far. only a few more to go.

12. Elrond

Elrond

Hammerhead,

My cube is similar in size. I recommend slightly bigger than 60x60 as if you take a standard t5 bulb with waterproof ends, take into account the euro racing, it's going to be a very tight fit IMO.

I have 6 t5 24w bulbs and am housing clams, softies and 3 acros with good success so far. 10 mm with euro racing is perfect.

I make use of 50mm plumbers pipe for my durso... Cheaper than those grey ones and achieves the same thing.

I use the ts2 without issues!

Check out my thread for reference and good luck!

13. dallasg

the wide of the brace doesnt make much difference as its used to stop the bowing of the pane of glass, so by joining the 3 panes together the strength is there, the thickness is more important than the width

14. Hammerhead

hi is it possible to post a pic of the euro bracing on your 700 cube,
    thanks for all the input guys..n gals

Recent Posts