Starting fresh after crash

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Fishy Steve, 11 Apr 2011.

1. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Hi all.

I have been inactive on here for about 8 months due to a major tank crash in which I lost all my corals and my 2 anemones. Most of the fish survived but I did a water change, replaced the broken heater and just kept up water changes and nothing else till now as I was deciding whether I would throw in the towel or not. I have had a cooling off period to evalute what went wrong, can I prevent it from happening again and do I wanna try it again.

I really don't wanna throw in the towel and love the hobbie. I still go to the 2 oceans just to be around the tanks and I went to Zanzibar last month and went snokeling 3 times which helped me decide I wanna carry on but do it 100% right this time.

The things I was doing wrong.

• Two quality heaters.
    • Not checking parameters. I got to the point where just looking in the tank was enough but won't do this again as my parameters were outta whack when the crash happened
    • Tank, I will either be getting a medium sized, really nice show tank or a really large tank that I will not lose interest in (I think that is where my problem was I wanted a bigger, better designed tank and lost interest). I am just trying to work out which as they both come with their own costs that I am trying to evaluate. I am leaning towards a large, fish only tank with relitavely easy to feed fish. Tangs and such not frog fish or anything that I am gonna struggle with.
    • Costs, Another thing is deciding on custom made or second hand. There is a really REALLY cool deal I found with a tank + stand + sump second hand. Dimentions of display are 1.5m x 65cm x 110cm(LxWxH). water sitting at 1m built out of 19mm glass. really solid 40mm square tubed stand. For the same price a custom made tank would get me less than half the size. The layout is good. Tank is in very good condition. Not very old. The only problem is this tank will be about 1000 litres and costs for upkeep and a decent skimmer scare me, as does the weight(+- 1.5 ton according to the calculator:eek:). I would hate to set it up and then realise that it is costing more than I am willing to spend. What would a FO tank cost to run of this size per month with 2 oceans water not mix?

Any advice or if there is someone selling a nice tank in the region of R3000 gimme a shout, 400 litre minimum display size.

PS, it already feels good to be back

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Maybe invest in the titanium type heaters running off a quality controller.

On my to do list, these cheap glass heaters just have too many reported issues.

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Thread Starter Hiden super user

I have already invested in Jaeger as they have the best rep outta the glass types. Titanium, I aint a rockefeller;)

Maybe after the promotion

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome back :)

Recent Posts