starting a new tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by nim, 24 Apr 2013.

1. nim

nim

Good day everybody
    I'm in the process of starting a new marine tank. I have kept freshwater fish for many years but always wanted to do the whole marine thing and the time has come. I haven't got a my tank yet as I am still waiting for the glass which I ordered ages ago. I will need alot of advice and help. Will add pics as soon as I start.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

ASk away buddy.

4. hiema

hiema

Do it Nim:slayer:

5. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome to MASA!

Let the build begin.

6. Dorry

Dorry dorry

:welcometomasa2: all you need do do ask a lot of questions. First thing you must decide what you wanna keep. Fish tank only, fish and soft corals, ( best bet for beginners. ) or do you want sps, lps, soft corals and fish.

7. nim

nim Thread Starter

my idee is to get dead reef rock first and let the tank run for a while. add some fish and soft coral later on. i want to take the whole process very slow.

8. pkc

pkc

That’s the way to go, dead rock for your initial bio media and build on its surface with some small sections of life filled live rock,corals,morphs,etc etc. I haven’t used actual live rock since the eighties, I do not trust it and you can easily make your own any way with what you choose from the lfs to put on it.
    This is mine from dead rock soaked in hot tap water with some bleach to kill everything in and on it for a totally sterile start and add life to infest the dead coral,all done in just one year.

Tank set up and frags glued to dead rock with wet tissue paper on the to protect during gluing.
    [​IMG]

One year later.
    [​IMG]

9. nim

nim Thread Starter

WOW, thats incredible. what are you using as a filter system?

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Apr 2013
  10. Dorry

Dorry dorry

:whistling: WOW and all the colours.

11. Microdot

Microdot

:thumbup: Now thats a nice tank.. love all the colours

12. pkc

pkc

I use a barrier pre filter on the back of the aqauriums to clean each day under the tap,unless away for holidays,the algae accounts for any tap water contaminants,though i do use my RO top ups. Then next is what some call a refuge,but I have small pieces of dead rock on egg crate raised at 30 mill off the floor for cleaning under it and the dead rock is 6 to 8 inches from the waters surface to get good amounts of light for the varied algae that attach to the dead rock with quarter watt 60 degree blue and white Led 2 foot fluro replacement tubes of ten watts in total for each over them and the sponges to grow on as well carrying out varied importing of pretty much everything and the dead rock to carry out a little anaerobic internally and aerobic externally remaining clean as every thing falls through the egg crate to the floor to be enacted upon by other microbes or I clean it out by blowing under the egg crate with a power head twice a year more or less.
    Then there are two settling filters which keeps everything out of my actual bio filter just past these ,these I clean under the tap maybe once a fortnight. They take 5 mins,then from one settling chamber the water goes to a house hold plastic rubbish bin onto a drip tray for cascaded waters over coral chunks for very high aerobic functions and very good gas exchange and then into the sump. The other settling chamber goes to multi layers in plastic tubs of anaerobic, deep sand beds you could call them, but I use coral and shell grit of 4 to10 mill in size on egg crate floors 30 mill high and after it finishes coming out of the last anaerobic tray,that water goes into the sump as well.
    The sump-plastic tub has a bubble defusing sponge barrier then the return pump of 3.5 thousand litres takes the water back to two 2 foot tanks, one mainly inverts with just 6 fish, the other mainly fish and some sps,lps and xenia.
    No skimmer and rarely water changes, though with the use of algae for such heavy importing then I cut it and throw it away, I do need to dose a lot of calcium bi carbonate, iodide and so on. I use 3 watt blue and cool white cree xr-e diodes over the top the invert tank and just the LED tubes over the bottom tank with high photosynthetic corals up high in there.
    One thing though with this sort of system, the algae will not allow me to attain KH above 8 and is allows totally constant by 20 hour lighting over the algae.
    I copied the oceans functions the best I could after so much work and many years, in that it looks after it self, sort of!

13. pkc

pkc

14. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Pkc, can you please start a new thread, why i am asking this is some one els thread and i would like to ask you a lot of question and more about your sump. Think there is a lot of people that want to ask. And i would like more picture. And your corals, your water flow and ..........thank you i appreciated. Start your own thread we can ask you all we want to know if you willing to share with us. First time i see i filter system like yours.

15. pkc

pkc

This might not a good idea,as I do not use live rock or a skimmer and rarely do water changes. This will tick off some that like the label of high end reefers and then the shops? To promote making most of it you’re self,that may be frowned upon! Then to say that I use other more robust protista “as most will say is impossible and silly” to remove or reduce white spot and velvet with no need to buy cures.
    These ways will not be accepted, they can’t be, because it will annoy many and as yet, there is no real science for this yet, just hints of it so far that will be built on over time!
    Don’t get me wrong, I went through the skimmer days and use to make my own and venturi as well and a calcium reactor, so they do what some need, it’s just by using nature mostly, skimmers are actually detrimental by striping out far too much.
    Its just making use of algae and sponges to semi copy phyto and cyano functions and encouraging many forms of microbes that exist in and on varied areas, conditions and surfaces, you can duplicate what the ocean does to clean up reef waste and put back some of what’s needed by those functions.
    This what it will be like-
    I had years of trying to find ways to get algae and other life forms to strip out everything from the waters in my display aquariums to get away from skimmers, phosphate sponge, aquasonic gaer,tunzy gear and much,much more and have the algae and more put back some needed elements, I was nearly there and this was finally made possible after some advice on how photosynthesis works and certain algae’s functions from one of our teachers of marine biologists here in Q that I speak out of many here and some friendly old school ichthyologists as well.
    Then a marine biologist on one of our internet sites here said that’s a load of rubbish and also said why would you believe anything some marine biologist tells you, and then proceeded to tell me how it actually works, she was also a marine biologist? You see what I mean! I also saw her large aquarium; it was very ordinary and is regularly fighting white spot!

Recent Posts