Starting a new second aquarium after 10 years .

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Baby Ewing, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Baby Ewing

Baby Ewing

Hi all

Just started a new aquarium after selling my last one 10 years ago. Introduced about 50kg live rock and a sand bed in the sump with approx 300 litres mature water. The aquarium is a week old now and almost perfect to start populating, only a sniffle of phosphate/nitrate holding me back. the children are older now and have become keen participants, we'll see how long that lasts. So this weekend we look forward to arranging the reef in prep for it's new inhabitants.

Congrats on the forum, look forward to participating.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tridan

Tridan

welcome to masa. A bit of advice let your tank cycle properly, it will be to the benefit of youre inhabitants. Otherwise soounds like a great start, good luck and share some more info on the tank, size, lighting and filtration.

4. Baby Ewing

Baby Ewing Thread Starter

Patience

I will definately not start populating the tank until I am 100% happy with all the parameters, not even considered a time frame, only testing and visuals will determine this. Only occupants right now beside the LR and a little caulerpa in the DSB are two black mollies.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. Sorry to mention this, but I think it is cruel to use mollies or other fish like damsels to cycle a tank. A lot of petshops advise this and it is just wrong as the fish must live through the ammonia and nitrite stages where they might suffer.
    I believe in the natural way to cycle where the die-off from the live rock must decompose first and so cycle the tank. You can also add a dead whole prawn to decompose in time - this will also kick start the nitrogen cycle. Only after the nitrates is stable and controllable with a water change can live stock be added. I know you get all sorts of "quick fixes" today but that depends on how you want to go about it. Naturaly or chemicaly :p

Helga and Tridan like this.
  7. Tridan

Tridan

@Tobes i have to agree with you there boet. @Baby Ewing you should not be keeping anything in the tank, let the cycle run its course and reap the rewards.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Baby Ewing

Guys

The nitrate was just <10, Nitrite 0 and NH3 almost 0.05 when I introduced the mollies, and I must say that they are happy and flourishing. When I mentioned that the aquarium was a week old, this was not a week in total, it is a week of acceptable water conditions, sorry if I was not understood correctly. I try the natural way as far as possible.

9. bothal08

bothal08

any pics??

10. Helga

Helga

Hi Baby Ewing and a great welcome to MASA,

My understanding of Mollies is that they are primarily fresh water fish that can be acclimatised to salt water. Are you planning on keeping your Mollies or have you added them to get your tank to go through a quicker cycle? If so, what happens to them when they have served their purpose?

11. Baby Ewing

Hi Helga

The mollies were introduced for the added excitement of using livestock to provide the organic waste materials, however please be assured that they were introduced correctly and with care. I'm sure that you are aware that mollies are a man made species. I only have two large ones and both have more 'sword fish' in their appearance and are rather stunning (white & orange with sail fish type fins),these were selected to stay in their new home for the rest of their lives as neither are aggressive or territorial. My aquarium will be stocked very slowly so any problematic introductions from here onwards will be carefully considered with the mollies kept in mind.
    :bigthumbup:

Recent Posts