Started Planted Setup

AndreT

Retired Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was bored again so I set up this 2ft planted. Doesn't look like much now, but once the plants start to grow a bit I think will look really nice.

Plants are common Valisneria, Java Fern, Anubia and dwarf valis. I have two apple snails in there and some other animals.

P5130003.jpg

P5130002.jpg

Looks nice Galibore.... Some neon Tetra's will look nice in there....

Isn't a planted tank more difficult to keep? I have never had much luck with plants when I had a Fresh water tank, only plant that survived was the Java Fern..

I had many stunning planted tanks years ago.

My secret was to have a one inch layer of peat on the bottom of the tank, and a one inch layer of river sand on top of that. The plants loved it, and i often had tetras spawning in the tank because of the PH situation that the peat creates.

Still love a planted aquarium, can be a challange of note.

Yeah they can be a challenge. As long as you understand the reslationship between the pH, CO2 and KH you'll be ok. Another thing that make it hard is that LFS sell beginners 1 T8 tube and say it's enough. It's not, not usually. Most plants require a lot of light. Using peat is ok, but not with fish that require harder water like the african lake fish. The water in the amazon is acidic and soft so peat is usually used in amazon biotopes.This one is a mix, so I am not going to use any special substrate. Playsand and then I dose Sera ferts.Neon tetras are just about the only fish I can keep because most other fish will eat some other things I have in there.....hehe.

you've got me terribly curious about these "other things" you have in there, what you hiding??????

:lol: don't irritate me or I'll infractionate you :rofl:

you got some exotic shrimps in there?

Viper,

;) :whistling:

Afsal,

Those are Hapro 6500K lights. Basically 28W PC's. But the output is very impressive. My LFS use them for his macro alae. They are perfect for that purpose.

I'm looking for lights like that for my macro algae...how much were they gailbore? Damb I got a 180l octagon tank that's been empty from the day I started SW and I'm not too sure what to do with it so now you given me an idea.... what does one need to set up a planted tank?

Really Dean? I know that! Do I need any special/expensive equipment.... like with a SW tank you need skimmer, reactors, lights ect ect....

Looks nice i have done plenty of planted FW aquariums and you must just watchj your Ph;KH;And co2 they normaly the main

Sims,

The most expensive is the CO2 unit. You can get a small one for just over R1000. Then the lights, that's the most expensive parts. If you want to go all out, you can use Floradepot as your substrate then you're looking at pretty much the same price as for Aragonite. But I've never used that. Playsand rocks!!

I would also suggest a pH monitor/probe/controller. Used for two things: keeping your pH stable and feeding CO2 via solenoid valve.

Other than that it's just getting your fauna/flora compatibility right :wink:

Also keep in mind that nutrients and CO2 is wasted if there is not sufficient light. General rule of thumb is 1W / Liter although that is a contentious issue.

hehe, sorry :D

Just out of interests sakes, how many tanks in total have you got Galibore, I know of the nano, pico, now this one, any more?

Back
Top Bottom