Started my tank 14 days ago and no sign of No2 yet

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by oliver, 7 Apr 2015.

1. oliver

oliver

I started my tank 14 days ago and until today there is no sign of any No2.I added Brightwell microbacter 7 and 10 sailfin molies as starter fish witch drip adjusted to marine water over 2 days.One has died but left it to decompose in the tank as a base for the nitrogen cycle to start. The tank is 240l and the sump is 108l ph8.3,No2-0 No3-0 NH4-0.Am I do something wrong?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Nope, it will come, but the nitrobacter is possibly picking up the slack. Did you use live sand, cured live rock? When were the mollies added and are you running a skimmer?

4. JS

JS

Cant believe people still start tanks like this...poor molies...

Antonio likes this.
  5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Why oh why in this modern day and age do we still use live fish to cycle a tank? There are so many easier and better ways to cycle a tank such as using a pure ammonia source. If you did a fishless cycle with ammonia your tank would have been cycled by now or very close to it.

6. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Used a few pieces of live rock from a tank that was taken down and no skimmer as for the mollies about a week ago.Just for evry ones information mollies very happly life and breed in salt water and you will find them all a long the coast line of the Yucatan pernisula in Mexico

7. JS

JS

Yes...and the "Yucatan pernisula" is a stable marine environment...your tank during a cycle period is not...poor little guys will be exposed to excessive ammonia, nirate and nitrite... cruel and primative method...

Quintus and shaunn like this.
  8. shaunn

shaunn

you should never use live creatures just so that they can die in agony

Quintus likes this.
  9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

If youve used cured liverock from an established tank, then you may not see any nitrite spikes at all.
    What filtration are you using?

butcherman likes this.
  10. NO3

NO3

taking fish out the ocean and confining them to a small glass box is also cruel if you want to go into that....

oliver likes this.
  11. JS

JS

what does this have to do with keeping a pet? If you want a pet.. in this case a fish...you treat it like it was your baby...you give it the best possible living conditions. Be it a glass box...at least the water in the glass box should be as close to perfect as possible...not stick it in a tank thats still cycling...thats the cruel part...

shaunn likes this.
  12. NO3

NO3

It Has everything to do with keeping a pet! Just cause your fish live does not mean they are happy, every night when your ph drops do you think your fish enjoy that? do you think they enjoy seeing our big fat faces looking at them! Do you think they enjoy the murmuring of our pumps and voices? do you think they like the build up of PO4 or NO3 that happens.

your tank is far from their perfect habitat and who gives you the right to make any animal your pet?Cause you human and that's the Human way?

Anyway what im trying to get at is dont be so hard on the guy, he made a mistake if any and how many corals and fish have died in your tank? He is starting out and you actually have no idea how he has seeded his tank, i had fish in my tank in week one , are you going to moan at me for that? I used fully cured seeded live-rock which i grew out from calcium carbonate base to rock, you would think was taken from the sea, yes i had diatom build up and that was it that was the only single bit of cycling my tank went through , there was 0 ammonia 0 Nitrite or nitrate and i monitored the whole 4 weeks , im sitting now with .01 ppm no3

think before you post next time, or maybe try help him out, we all just as bad in a way

Mr Dan likes this.
  13. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Okay guys, you have made your points. Let's get back on topic and help Oliver with his tank and livestock.

14. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Just to clear something up I came back to the marine hobby after 20 yr break,back then we used to use mollies or any other fish tolerant to salt water to start our tanks .that was before all these fancy bacteria solutions came around.I still think that this method of starting a tank works.It might be as you say cruel but the molly is a very though little fish that most of the time survives

JS likes this.
  15. CameL

CameL

Yoh, how did you last that long...

16. shaunn

shaunn

I don't agree with your methods, its the same thing training a Pit bull to kill other dogs by using smaller dogs to train it ,20 years ago you used a piece of shrimp and let it rot in the tank to start the cycle and not live fish

JS likes this.
  17. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

There have been lots of advances in the hobby and it has come a long way from using fish to cycle. The bacteria is a tried and tested route (you don't even need live rock anymore, you can start a tank with base/dead rock and seed it using the bacteria).
    I would suggest you read the following useful threads to help you with your new tank:

R.E.E.F Methodology: What is this thing called cycling? - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    R.E.E.F Methodology Series: chemistry primer - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    A free book - The 'LIVING' Marine Aquarium Manual - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Good luck.

viper357 likes this.
  18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Ok guys. The damage has been done, what needs to be said has been said. Let's please move on and offer proactive advice and assistance instead of criticism, thanks. :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum Oliver. Best of luck with your tank, post some pics as you progress please. :)

19. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Tested again today no No2 or NH4 but there is a trace of No3.All the tests where done with Seachem test kits,The mollies are doing fine also the tank is starting to develop brown algae.

20. oliver

oliver Thread Starter

Tank is fully cycled and am starting to introduce fish to the system

21. Dexter

Dexter

Great stuff....send us some pics.

Recent Posts