Started Herbtana

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by pXius, 21 Aug 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

So my PB got some white spot, still eats well but decided to start the treatment.

I'm now on day 2 of 10. Not running the skimmer for 10 days has me a bit worried.

The PB not looking that much better yet, although my corals are not happy.

One of my Zoa colonies are not opening completely and my clam keeps his mantle retracted, his in and outlet is kept open though. Leather opens and closes every now and then, strange.

All the other corals including a montipora still looking good.

Lights in my scrubber are now running 24//7 instead of reverse cycle to help export some nutrients. Also removed the carbon until treatment is over.

Anyone else get good results with Herbtana?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Herbetana is a miracle cure in my eyes.
    I had WS on my regal, Moorish Idol and strawberry wrass.

Did the 10 day treatment and all was gone, never had an outbreak again!

Good call on stopping the carbon, think it is good to run the scrubber 24/7 in this time.

Sure your corals will be fine!

Good luck with the recovery!

4. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Good to hear! Thanks

5. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi also had good results - overdosed many times and no prob for coral.

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

it also depends on the type of white spot. Some are much smaller, thats when herbtana does not work. Hang in there bud

7. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Day 3:

PB looking worse and WS has spread to my chocolate tang, hoping its one of those worse before better cases.

8. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Ok

I am going to get involved here. Whitespot is whitespot but technically you get slightly different strains of it. (one is hypo saline resistant, etc)

Reality is:
    1) There are NO reefsafe cures for it.
    2) You need to treat it with either bucket transfer(depending on stage and level of infection), copper or hyposalinity.
    3) Whitespot can be cured:thumbup: (doing no 2 )

BUT you must treat all your fish as they are now infected. You are more than welcome to give me a ring. I have pm'd you my no.

L8r...
    Willie

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  9. Tony

Tony

Have you tried feeding food soaked in garlic and feeding a little extra to boost the fish's immune system. I have personally found "fat" fish to be more resistant to disease.

10. amalick

amalick

Sorry for the hijack, but im on day 10 of copper treatement (with seachem cupramin)in one of my QT's all visible signs off spot have been gone for a while now, but the fish continue to scrape themselves against rocks meaning that something is still irritating them.

Can one combine hypo with copper ?
    What is considered to be the right level for hypo - 1010?

I'm also considering fresh water baths properly executed of course

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

nooo no hypo and copper u will kill ur fish

12. amalick

amalick

OK, thought so but just wanted to make sure. So it looks like it going to be fresh water baths this weekend;)

13. amalick

amalick

Unlikely, Spot is a teribble thing once it gets hold of your system. THe best option is QT, Copper etc..

The worst is leaving your wonderfull reef fallow for 8 weeks. It so sad to look at:(

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

15. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi , we put our Achillies and the long nose in cupermine and dayly dropped the salinity by 3 points went down to 1010 for 5 days , and then brought it up slowly again when the under the skin bumps were gone ,after 4 days at 1010- worked like a charm.
    P.S
    tempriture was 27
    We also fed super shrimp and mysis soaked in garlic and metroditazol.

After that success we repeated the treatment with the gold rim last week - again worked very well, both fish sold now.
    We now have set up 4 more quarenteen tanks and are trying to repeat those treatments - have noticed that chelated copper ( cupramine ) seems better that the chemest copper.
    And didnt find frehwater bath very helpfull.

but heard from one of my customers ( name excapes me now )that the bucket transfer methard is still best - i cant do it as its a little too labour intensive for me.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Aug 2011
  16. williet

+1 ziyaab
    You cannot mix hypo treatment with copper.
    It changes the theraputic dosage. Bare in mind that copper is poisonous to all sea creatures. Some are more susceptable than other eg fish are less sensitive than shrimp.

The treatment is calculated that all parameters are normal (no hypo)

Btw hypo is regarded as anything below 1.010. I normally use 1.009.

17. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Me seriously needs to get a QT as herbtana never works for me.

18. williet

Perky pets has got it right on the money with the hypo did you treat cupramine continously whilst in hypo? If so i am quite suprised ( i havent tried that way personally but many forms advise against it as the results may not always be favourable. :smile:.

I personally though find hypo more difficult(hard work) as you have to make sure or parameters are 100s and the salinity does not go up. (hard if you at work and you have evaporation problems) :blush:

Chelated copper is better. Cupramine is one example. The reason for this is that normal coppersalts are unstable and easily bind to other molecules and quickly reduces the effective concentration of copper needed to work. a workaround to this is now bind the copper ion to a bigger molecule to ensure that the treatment is more consistent.

19. juan R

juan R

I am busy dosing my DT with RX.P from Kentmarine and it is working a charm. Only 2 more doses to go and should be all clear. My foxface had WS quite bad but seems all clear now. Only advise i can give is to do 10-15% water changes every week and also to do the doses correctly, takes about 21 days.

20. Achilles

Achilles

David, think you meant me ;) anyway transfer method beats any hospital tank because water should always be good and fresh in each container which it rarely is in a hospital tank due to biological filtration taking a knock from medication ,plus very few hospital tanks have good filtration like a main display.

A real quarantine , hospital tank should have a skimmer good flow, properly seeded sponge filters for what nominal biological filtraion they supply and a uv sterilizer then you have a hospital tank worth its salt!- this is why for hobbyists doing one or two fish at a time nothing beats the transfer method when dealing with diseases like whitespot and oodinium as it totally breaks the lifecycle - it willl not work for brook or bacterial problems and flukes

21. williet

@Achilles +1
    Juan r
    I am sorry to tell you rx p is used for corals if your ws does not come back, do not be fooled. It has just reached a biological eqilibrium(fish immune system keeps the protozoa at bay) any thing goes wrong with parameters in your tank and it will be back.

Be careful!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts