Starphire - worth the cost

Reaction score
Howdy Gang

Today I ordered bits for my new tank (thread to follow)
The big problem is we still have not decided on the tank itself.

I have always wanted rimless - starphire but the cost is crazy.

Just wanted to know if you guys thought it really is worth the extra cost or should I go with my gut feel and use "green" glass and spend the extra on equipment. (Those Vortech pumps are crazy priced.

Ross

StarFire glass is EXTREMELY clear - nothing in the glass (no impurities) to deflect the focus....

Is it worth it? I dunno - depends on your budget, I presume.....

I would DEFINITELY say to rather spend the money on better skimmer/s, lighting, internal power-heads/pumps.....

How big is the glass you need, starfire is fantastic but not really worth it unless you go over 12mm thick, that's when normal glass starts to look green.

How big is the glass you need, starfire is fantastic but not really worth it unless you go over 12mm thick, that's when normal glass starts to look green.

I am looking at 12mm Glass.
If I go the route I really want to go, I will need 16mm laminated starphire, but that is way out of my budget.

what about just for the front viewiing pane, or is this going to have an all round view?

same here, or just make one pane starphire

I am looking at 12mm Glass.
If I go the route I really want to go, I will need 16mm laminated starphire, but that is way out of my budget.

if you go laminated, if it flexes the layers can part and pop one after the other

what size tank to looking at?

i got a quote for R850 a sqm

Ok well I bit the bullet and ordered my tank today.

I will be a 1200 x 800 x 600 rimless,starfire with chamfer.
Going to start a new thread about it as I am sure you can imagine how excited I am.

:yeahdude: :yeahdude: :yeahdude:

youll love that tank, dimensions are very nice.

is adriaan building your tank?
he can build some mean ass tanks;)

youll love that tank, dimensions are very nice.

is adriaan building your tank?
he can build some mean ass tanks;)

Yip we went through all sizes and designs - over and over and then decided thiswas the best size we could deal with and have the perfect fit for it.

Yip Adriaan is dong the tank. He really knows what he is doing and after seeing his setup on Tuesday evening I want, I want, I want :thumbup:

i personally think you jsut wasted money you could have spent on a calcium reactor or some waveboxes etc....

under 15/16mm you wont see starfire vs normal glass.....

I personally don't see the point in making such a statement after he has ordered the glass. What benefit does it have?

Back
Top Bottom