starfish transport time

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by PeterL, 27 Jun 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

How long can a starfish be kept in a bag for transport and safely make it to it's destination? Is it the same as with fish or are tehy a little more fragile?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I have transported quite a few and never had any problems. On the other hand I must admit I have been warned to treat them with special care. I think it should be ok for a trip to the east rand, and to me it sounds as if you are sad to leave sunny KZN behind.

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Have we met Herkie?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Peter - it depends which starfish you are talking about. The cushion stars (the small one's that are all over the rocks) are very hardy - so, they will survive for HOURS in a container even if the water temp increases, etc....

BUT, the bigger starfish are not that hardy. They die very quickly if things change far to quick for their liking.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I brought up a Bristle star from Balito. In same container as some snails, urchins and a few other things. No problem.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you bring up snails, just check out Adee's thread on snails he got down at Uvongo. You will get the same, just make sure if reefsafe or not, before you bring them.

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I am investigating the idea of one of these

http://www.waterdecor.co.uk/Pics/BlueLinckiaStarfish.jpg

I am not sure where to get them small emough for my tank (250L system) but they don't just suddenly appear as 300mm across big stars, they surely have to start off small from somewhere.

If anyone has some info as to where I can get one please let me know, it is why I started about the travel was the curiosity of thinking that I may only find one at one of the LFS's at the coast...I haven't found one LFS's and or sponsor in Gauteng who will bring one in for me, I am told that the ones which came in are large ones.

Is that because only the large ones survive the transporting or the general consensus is that you can only have a blue star if you have a large system? I feel that there is something behind the scenes which is not being said...You can have a small one of anything you want, just not a small star apparently

Recent Posts