Starfish in an SPS reef

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by scubaninja, 16 Mar 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hey guys, been thinking about what i want to do with the tank, and i'm thinking of going SPS fully. But this would mean i would miss out on a fair bit of stuff like LPS and most Softies. I know stars need mature systems, and i would only put one in a couple of months down the line, but what i want to know is will the star survive in an SPS reef which is meant to be nutrient deficient? If there is such a star what is it? It would probably need to be bullet proof correct? I have a sand bed and by the time the tank is mature enough i should in theory have a lot of food growing in there, would this mean that a star that predominately feeds from sand beds is a better choice? Or would it be like feeding the star to the wolves as he has no hope in hell? If there is a star that one could keep in this environment what is it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Most starfish don't survive well in any tank, they usually starve and die slowly due to their very low metabolism, my advice is don't get one.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

ya i was afraid that would come. Unfortunatly the one i did have in the 1.2m met his end with a Seio so i only managed to have him for a couple of months:( but yes, i do agree they do not survive very well. I spotted two local stars in the tank, cant remember how they got there, think they came over from the 1.2m, so i hope there is enough for them. Thanks Mike, yet another fella we can't have from the ocean:(

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

There are brittlestars that do ok, you just need to feed them frozen, or pieces of cockle/shrimp etc.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I have a marble and serpant which I target feed weekly to make sure they eat enuff
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have 2 Brittle stars, Linkia and a cushion star.

I don't target feed any of the stars. The brittle stars live under the reef and eat loads of detritus, but you hardly see them.

The linkia eats rubbish all over and the cushion canes the coralline.

I don't have a low nutrient system, so if this is truely the route you want to go rather don't have any stars and very few fish

8. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

well very few fish is not an option;) but i will over time be upgrading my skimming something fierce. but my bioload will not rise fast enough for the need to skim better in the near future due to cash flow issues, so for now the nutrients are fairly low, but the aim is low nutrients so i was thinkin of the worst case scenario
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Tony

Tony

I also have a brittle start that has been with me for years. He lives under the rocks and eats all the crap inn my system. I have.5ppm of nitrates so my system is nutrient poor but that doesn't stop my fish from doing their thing which he eats along with leftover food​

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Tony, is that 0.5ppm or 5ppm? If it's 0.5 can I ask what test kit you are using? Thanks.

11. Tony

Tony

0.5ppm of nitrate. My test measures as low as 1ppm but the colour is lighter than the one on the chart. It's a Tm nitrate test

12. viper357

Thanks Tony, I am looking for a test kit with a decent measurement/resolution, will have a look at the TM one.

13. Tony

Tony

It's also easy to use. I'm sure there are more accurate ones out there but they probably come with a million syringes and test tubes and a science journal for a manual

14. viper357

:lol: true.

15. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Salifert make a good nitrate kit that cost about half compared to TM.It also does 60 tests as opposed to 25. The TM kits are prone to reading falsely low and a few batches kept reading less than 1ppm when in fact the nitrates were high which we haven`t experienced with the Salifert range.

16. Tony

Tony

Good to know Robin.

17. viper357

Thanks for the info Robin.

Recent Posts