Starfish ID please!

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Mtroboer, 19 Apr 2008.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi guys, could you please help me with a ID on the following starfish? I gave into temptation and bought it after it had been in the dealer's tank for about 2 months. It had been kept with various corals and did no damage so I believe it must be fairly reefsafe... The photo quality is bad as I used my phone's camera, if necessary I will take another with my digital.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

This looks like one of the Fromia species.

Not easy to keep happy. Try and target feed - place some food next to the unit, don't touch the star or he won't eat, as he will try and flee.

4. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Thanx Warr, will do so, will also surf the net to see if I can have any luck finding a profile on it

5. nic

nic

It looks like the same star fish I have. It is a Nardoa novaecaledoniae. Also known as a yellow mesh sea star. Mine is yellow and green. I cut a small piece of hake every second or third night, squish the piece on a rock and place him over it with his centre over the piece of hake. He sits there and eats it and often stays there for a few hours. Star fish are very sensitive to changes in salinity so do it slowly, never pour fresh water near him or pour salt near him. Make sure the salinity is the same with water changes. Oxygen is also a problem so never take it out the water. A piece of hake got stuck in a power head and he went to get it during the night, I found him flat in the morning stuck on the power head. I thought he was dead but I saw he was still alive and an hour later he was back to normal.

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Nice ID nic, I reckon you have it right

[​IMG]

Fromia is similar

[​IMG]

7. nic

nic

[​IMG]
    Mine looks like the one above
    [​IMG]

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum nic. Thanks for the ID.

9. cybervic

cybervic

JP, one more thing. I do not think that starfish is safe with clams, mussles or oysters. Otherwise he is quite reefsafe from what I've noticed at the shop :p

Btw we orderd them as Fromia monillis, but yet again the guys in Malaysia sent us something different. If you are unsure about any ID of any item (which I'm most of the time) there is a set of books near Jean where you might be able to ID it from.

Hope you have the same joy from the starfish as we had. In our tank he ate whatever the wrasse did not. We feed mysid, marine mix, cyclopeeze and Omega one pellets and flakes. Never did target feed him and he really did well.

10. nic

nic

Thanks viper357
    My star fish seems to be very reefsafe, it has not touched my clam. Will keep an eye out though.

11. cybervic

cybervic

I have a customer who claimed that one of these starfish killed one of his clams. With clams being expensive, I'd rather err on the side of caution

12. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanx for the help! Nic your ID was spot-on, it is exactly the same as yours! It has acclimatized very well to my setup and has been grazing ever since I introduced him to the tank. Thanx Wicus, are allready enjoying the star lots, cant wait to get home to see where it has moved to since I left for work! Will remember the books next time.:)

Recent Posts