Starfish falling apart

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Blue Ring Sting, 17 Apr 2013.

1. Blue Ring Sting

Blue Ring Sting

Hi all

I have just bought 2 blue starfish and when I came to my tank yesterday I saw he was falling apart. When I lift him up I saw there was like stringy things coming from his body. It was already on 2 of his arms and the centre disk was doing the same.

My tank is over 1 year and 6 months old and I always follow a lenghthly drip for stars. The 1 starfish is gone now but it looks like the 2nd one has picked it up as well.

Once they have this is there a chance of saving them or is it night time for them?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

How long did you acclimatize them for? Also, starfish circulatory systems are prone to getting air bubbles trapped in the arms, thereby causing the arm to rot and die. You don't have any harlequin shrimps?
    Linkia starfish are also very sensitive to high levels of NO3

4. Blue Ring Sting

Blue Ring Sting Thread Starter

I did 2 hours. They were possibly exposed to air in the transfer and what they did as well is they will sit right on top of the water level with one or two of there arms out of the water. No I have no harlequins. Before I received them I tested my NO3 and the levels were between 0-2. They were fine for days and all of a sudden one now the other.

5. raynow

raynow

Did you expose the starfish to air when transferred from the bag to your tank?

6. Blue Ring Sting

I cup my hands with water and scoop them up and put them into the tank. I see what they do is stick there arms out of the water when they climb to the top of the tank.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Sorry bud, funny things Linkia's. Could be major shift in Alk and pH too. They are very sensitive, its one starfish I have always avoided.

8. Blue Ring Sting

Ive also got 2 of the fromia species and it looks like they going the same way. I really wonder why. Tank is mature, i feed them mussels and clam meat but just they look so deflated. Do you say that they are goners?

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Maybe. Go back a few days or weeks, any major changes to your tank? New additions, new salt, new additives? Test salinity, pH, and Alk. It can be something really simple that we overlook. My downfall is always salinity.

10. Blue Ring Sting

Nothing major. I think salinity possibly could of change by 0.001 - 0.002 but not massively. As far as any other fluctations I cannot say so. I test my water regularly and ensure my parameters are all solid.

11. Furbz

Furbz

i've never had sucess with linkia starfish, 3 out of 3 have perished in the same way under my care...
    they look great but man they are difficult to keep... best i got from one was 10 months, then all of a sudden he fell apart...

i'll following this thread with interest

12. Blue Ring Sting

Its such a pity and they munched what ever I gave them they looked really great, active all over the tank and then arms are split and looks deflated. Is there no cure for this? Or once its there its there thats it?

Recent Posts