Star Polyp Pest

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I bought some Bright Green Star Polyps when I started out and the boys are becoming a pest now, I would like to get most of the out and get them to grow on rocks (i.e. frag) them to give to new reefers and also my LFS (figured it might be 10 pieces or so less coming out of the wild)

How do I get them of the rocks?

i normaly scrape them of with a blade,but becarefull not to break them in pieces,try n get a little sheet of, or you can break a small piece of rock (depending what size you want) where the star polyps are

ALL over the rocks and glass , taking the rocks out of the tank is not an option unless its majormajor humongoooose rescaping

Once they are on the rocks they become a pain. If on the glass just scrape off with a glass scraper.

These things do become a pest after a while, they have to be controlled.

How fond are you of the rock? ...anything else on it? If it were me, I might just smash the rock (with a hammer/chisel or with a Dremel saw) and just rip the mat apart... but some people might think that a little violent.

damn Sarah,you scaring me.you sounding worse than Viper now :lol:

Hey, sometimes you just gotta remind these things who's boss... :cool2:

Though, I will say I regret doing this to a huge hairy mushroom I had once. I ripped it across the 4 rocks it had grown on. It didn't mind a bit... and now I have 4 of the darn things. Ugh.

LOL... oh, let's just say it got what was coming to it. They might survive being ripped apart, but a little NaOH to the mouth and the shrivel like pruns on the Vegas strip.

Btw, I should probably mention (before anyone starts thinking I'm just really mean to my corals) that these mushrooms get to be the size of diner plates and can actually eat live fish...

:flowers: Off topic, but you guys have some really cool (and some, uh, interesting) graphic smilies...

Back
Top Bottom