Star ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Jacojs, 19 Sep 2016.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

So last night I went to sleep, 2 clowns in tank.

This morning only one, the bigger of the two. I have now moved ALL my rocks, closed all the valves on the overflow to the point of almost flooding the tank, Open valves all the way hoping to flush him out of the pipe, done 3 times.......NOTHING!!!

Checked on the floor, under the cabinet NADA!!

All I can think is this guy. Is this the Green death?

20160407_120134.jpg

DSCN1594.JPG

The clowns were both healthy though and were sleeping next to the powerhead at night, there's no way the star could have gotten to it there!!

I am heartbroken!! I wanted to cut the star open to see if there's any remains in it but I dont want to lose 2 things I loved :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NJH

NJH

It is the green death. Never had one but read some horror story that even healthy fish are not safe.

4. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Why not remove it?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

I dont understand how he could get it up there though?? The clown must have went to sleep on the bottom that is the only explanation. Do I have to feed it daily to prevent it from going after fish? I have been feeding it twice a week thus far.

Sump it? There no light there? Will he be okay?

6. red deacon

red deacon

r0ckf1re likes this.
  7. NJH

NJH

Sump it. It will be fine there. Just remember to feed it once you sump it. Feeding it in your main display is no guarantee that it will not hunt.

8. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

9. NJH

NJH

No, do not flush it, that is just cruel. Sump it. If your sump is too small I am sure someone will take it from you.

10. red deacon

red deacon

Dude I would sump it regardless of whether there is a light or not. You clearly cant keep it in your DT

11. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

12. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

No I wont ever flush something that I took upon myself to care of. Ill sump it and keep an eye on it, if it starts looking different/unhappy I will put it up for sale.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2016
  13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, they are stunning creatures but sadly well known killers in our tanks. They do not need light to survive, if you sump him then just give him a couple pieces of rock and substrate to live with and give him some occasional food if you can.

14. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Will do, thanks.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If your sump is too small, I can keep it in my second DSB.

viper357 likes this.
  16. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@RiaanP I could bring it for you to keep until my upgrade is up and running? My new sump will be more than big enough.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok, you can.
    Will keep it for you until then.

18. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks @RiaanP I will give you a call.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2016
  19. Gerhard77

Gerhard77

Hi. sorry for reviving and older thread. But I need to ask some questions on this topic and clarify some things.
    How big was the clown?
    Any chance the clown was hit by the power heads (are the power heads protected?)
    any pieces of clown found after he disappeared?
    if your drain large enough to take the clown, do you have a filter sock?
    How big is the serpent star?

The reason I ask is because the horror stories about olive serpent stars are not true and purely based on speculation. People tend to then feed the stories and the species then gets a bad reputation.
    There is one specific story most people refer to and this person is mostly speculating based on certain "theories" as described. Lifting of the body (what he assumes is the stalking position) etc.

The reason I ask about the size of the clown is purely because the size of fish the serpent star can handle at once is not what people think they can take at once. This is however still does not mean it will catch and consume any live fish.

I have a really big serpent which is about 35cm total and he does not touch live fish. Secondly he is not even able to take an entire lance fish, he tries, but gives up. it will eat some pieces of off it and leave most of the fish which will end up floating around the tank. Believe it or not, my 2 spot goby, which is tiny, sleeps under him sometimes.

So, I know someone will say but it might just be mine, it is not, there were others at RBM and they did the same. They will just hang around and fish were hiding under them, never were they even touched. They do not catch or eat live fish as they are scavengers. Mine even sleeps in a cave where both my fire shrimp and red lobsters are at, if they just touch him he will flinch.

People tend to think that the bristle star lifts its body to wait for fish to swim under and then catch them. This is completely false. It is a normal position they will rest in, especially on the substrate for some reason.
    Yes, once they are in that position, they will grab any dead food like a piece of fish when you feed it, it purely grabs onto the fish because it wants to keep it from floating away with the current. So even though it looks like "predator behaviour", it is not. People give these stars a false reputation.

They are Scavengers. FACT!! Mine can take half a lance fish but then has a huge bulge on its body which cannot be missed. anything larger than half a lance and it will only nibble on it. it does not eat the head of the lance fish either, I cannot for a fact say if it is just mine, but I tried numerous times, once it detects the head it will leave it to float away. When I feed it again I will try and record it and post a video.

Moral of the story, if in fact it DID eat your clown, something else would have had to kill the clown first, and the clown had to be fairly small to have been taken completely by it.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2016
    Karen1986 likes this.
  20. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@Gerhard77

How often did you feed yours? I think I may have not been feeding enough and there really is nothing in my tank that could have killed it, 1 midas blenny, one Bubble tip anemone, some zoas, some mushrooms, 2 cleaner shrimp and some snails oh and one other pink brittle star but It definately wasnt it.

*EDIT*

I have seen a youtube video of a green brittle star attacking and trying to eat a hermit crab in someones tank............

Last edited: 3 Oct 2016
  21. Gerhard77

Gerhard77

Sorry again about the clown. I know the feeling.

Generally the serpent will eat some Mysis when I feed the tank so it would be like snacks, but I feed it half a lance fish every 3rd day (chopped of head and tail and then split the fish in half). You can feed it more often, but it will grow like crazy and you know these guys can grow to about 60cm easily.

I suppose any animal can go rogue when times are really tough, but I can for sure say that the clown would be to quick for the star.
    I just went online again and still cannot find any documented case, with images or video of a serpent eating anything that is alive.

Some years ago I lost a maroon clown. did not find it anywhere and nothing in the tank that could have killed it, even if there was something that could kill it, nothing there could have eaten it. Thought it jumped but found nothing, I have cats so automatically assumed it might have jumped and the cat found it before I did. Few days later I was cleaning the glass and then found a dried maroon clown lying in the corner of the silicon on the top brace of the tank.

Recent Posts