star fish problems

Reaction score
hi guys,
just a curious question, iver googled and not found any decent answers.
I have this fella, beautiful red but he hardly moves around the rock work and is fairly often seen with one or more legs detached like he is in the pic. anyideas? i am sure its not good and would love to help him:)

1752-1.jpg

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Crispin - When starfish have their feet "dangling" like that, they are trying to catch zooplankton in the water column. It could possibly also mean that they don't have enough detritus / algae to eat where they are....

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Most stars tend to slowly starve to death in our tanks, the red linckia is one of the ones that suffer most quickly.

Reaction score
Crispin - When starfish have their feet "dangling" like that, they are trying to catch zooplankton in the water column. It could possibly also mean that they don't have enough detritus / algae to eat where they are....
and the fact that he does not move to try find more is not strange? my chock chip and sandsifter are all over the tank. should i move the fella?

and thanks for the help its really appreciated:)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Nah - don't move it. It will move on it's own.
I take it that this is a "new guy on the block"?
Perhaps place some hake/shrimp/mussel meat close to it..... the starfish should move down towards the meat at least....

Reaction score
Nah - don't move it. It will move on it's own.
I take it that this is a "new guy on the block"?
Perhaps place some hake/shrimp/mussel meat close to it..... the starfish should move down towards the meat at least....
newish...three and a half weeks. i'll try give him some muscle...if that lunar wrass is in a sharing mood. if its just a feeding issue i am sure I can help him along:):slayer: