Stand problems?

Reaction score
So I got my stand today, but the problem is that the stand is 20mm short 9n length, therefore the tank will over hang the stand +-10mm either side, using 20mm foam on base and the tank is made from 10mm glass, do you think it will be ok.

thanks

How long is the tank?
Put a board down then styrene and u should be fine. Just make sure the stand is 100% level.

Is it possible to put some marine ply over the stand.

Will you get away with it? Probably
Would I chance it? Not without 2 x 19mm Marine ply, but the again, how big is the tank?

I agree, but majority of the weight is excerted down on the rest of the base isn't it?
hi lighty, yes you are gonna be ok ! the overhang is very slight relative to the rigidity
of the entire tank base - one caution i would like to offer though, IMHO, is to be careful with the use of "compressionable" material under the tank ie the foam you refer to -if there is any uneveness on the surface of your stand please rely on a sheet of marine ply between the base of the tank and the surface of the stand - this will neutralise the slight(?) uneveness then, if you must, use only a thin 5mm foam sheet as well as the ply with the foam directly under the tank itself - then insist on really accurate measurements to ensure ABSOLUTE level of the water in the tank before final filling - then relax, if the tank is level 99.999 percent of tanks survive years of use including earth tremors al la the joburg areas - cheers

Agreed, ply base and foam to take up the settling and you will be fine.

5mm Justin would defnialtley be better

Agreed - also ensure that you paint/treat the plywood with polyurethane varnish (3 coats or more...) to make it more waterproof - and if possible use marine ply or shutterboard, as "normal" ply could buckle or delaminate if it gets wet (and it will!!!)

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom