Stand problems?

Reaction score
So I got my stand today, but the problem is that the stand is 20mm short 9n length, therefore the tank will over hang the stand +-10mm either side, using 20mm foam on base and the tank is made from 10mm glass, do you think it will be ok.

thanks

Reaction score
How long is the tank?
Put a board down then styrene and u should be fine. Just make sure the stand is 100% level.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible to put some marine ply over the stand.

Will you get away with it? Probably
Would I chance it? Not without 2 x 19mm Marine ply, but the again, how big is the tank?

Reaction score
I agree, but majority of the weight is excerted down on the rest of the base isn't it?
hi lighty, yes you are gonna be ok ! the overhang is very slight relative to the rigidity
of the entire tank base - one caution i would like to offer though, IMHO, is to be careful with the use of "compressionable" material under the tank ie the foam you refer to -if there is any uneveness on the surface of your stand please rely on a sheet of marine ply between the base of the tank and the surface of the stand - this will neutralise the slight(?) uneveness then, if you must, use only a thin 5mm foam sheet as well as the ply with the foam directly under the tank itself - then insist on really accurate measurements to ensure ABSOLUTE level of the water in the tank before final filling - then relax, if the tank is level 99.999 percent of tanks survive years of use including earth tremors al la the joburg areas - cheers

Reaction score
Agreed, ply base and foam to take up the settling and you will be fine.

Reaction score
Agreed - also ensure that you paint/treat the plywood with polyurethane varnish (3 coats or more...) to make it more waterproof - and if possible use marine ply or shutterboard, as "normal" ply could buckle or delaminate if it gets wet (and it will!!!)

Hennie