Stainless Steel canopy inner frame

Reaction score
Good day everyone, i want to use (316 grade) stainless steel to make two inner frames for my new light canopy. Would it be safe or not or must i rather go for aluminium sheeting.

The 316L grade of stainless will be fine, you could even go down to 3CR12 which cheaper to buy but has a higher chrome content. The only concern with this is that it is a lot heavier than Aluminum so if you are hanging it from another source - go for it, just serious polishing required to get it super reflective.

If you are going to be resting it on top of your tank - I reckon it is going to be way too much for the tank. The tanks conventionally are not designed to carry much load on top and 316L s/s is heavy.

The frames i want to make are only 38mm x 38mm x 2mm angles, on the lower frame i want to fit the supawood to cover the water line and the top frame for the lights. I will use normal reflectors that you buy at the LFS, so it won't be that heavy.

What about heat. Wouldnt Stainless steel hold alot of heat? I think Aluminium will be a better option.

Rather use Aluminium, can also get it welded to form a strong structure. Like those aluminium canopies on the back of some bakkies. Alu-Cab.

A few years back I helped my brother-in-law to build a aluminium canopy for his Land Rover. Damn, that big thing, so light to pick up. Felt strange picking it up. Expect this heavy thing...

Back
Top Bottom