Stacking live rock

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by mayoginn, 28 May 2009.

1. mayoginn

mayoginn

Hi peepz

Recently added more live rock to my tank (2ft which will be my quarantine tank by december) its now about 2 and half kg's and no more space on gravel. Is it safe to stack the rock or will it fall? afraid of it hitting the glass. Will stacking affect the bio filteration(less surface area)? Rock even came with a complementry bristle worm and a snail with a purple and white shell.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i am also paranoid about live rock falling and breaking glass! What i did was stick pieces of live rock rubble to the bottom piece of live rock to from sort claws to hold the top piece in place and prevent it from moving.
    Stacking shouldnt effect biofiltration all that much

4. mayoginn

mayoginn Thread Starter

My damsel dug under most of the rock, now has many caves to hide, so if i centre all the pieces what stopz it from digging there which might cause the whole stack to go off balance. Thought of making a cave on 1 side of the tank but how do you get a fish to obey you and use that as a home.

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

difficult call really

you can drill the rock nd cable tie the rocks together ... i used that in the past.....

or when you have a bigger tank then a plastic rock stand like this may work

[​IMG]

6. Kavir

Kavir

I stacked my rocks, the base is very stable So the goby cant do damage from the bottom.
    Then as i stack them u'l know wot's firm and wot's not and if u in doubt, but, happy wit the rocks possition, then stick it. My stack is abt 80cm high. Only 1 rock has fallen So far but that was a new 1 that wasn't glued.

7. mayoginn

mayoginn Thread Starter

Thanks, i think il drill them and use cable ties.

8. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

if i where to stack the rocks just on top of each other with no glue/ cable ties. is there a possibility of the rocks falling due to water movement? what are the chances?

9. Boendoe

Boendoe

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

That's what most people do, just place a smallish "blob" or two of Pratleys on the contact points between the rocks and press down lightly to ensure good contact.

The drilling and cable ties also work well, but it's not possible to add rocks at a later stage without removing all the previously installed rock to drill new holes - not very practical...

A third option is to drill a hole straight down the rock, and then to push a 10mm transparent acrylic rod through the hole. One can then just stack the rocks on the rod, much like a sosatie (kebab). If you want to add rocks at a later stage one can then remove the short rod, and replace it with a longer rod without disturbing the "old" rocks (if you're lucky...)

Given time, the coralline algae and encrusting corals will cement the rocks together quite permanently.

Hennie

11. Achilles

Achilles

one thing i have noticed is that after having cable ties for 12 years in my aquarium the black ones eventually wore down to the point of breaking even with corraline growing on them, not sure if it happens to all of them but it did happen to the black ties, one thing that doesnt disintegrate at all is fishing nylon line and it comes in all strengths.

Recent Posts