Stable KH (Kalkwasser??)

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Dewald@Dorry, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi All!!:thumbup:

Since the beginning i've been battling with LPS's in my system and need some help.

I had a chat with a fellow reefer and discussed my LPS problem.

We also discussed my new strategy of wanting to move away from any dosing in my system to just more frequent water changes.. But even with more frequent water changes my LPS still battle.!?!?:p

He shared with me the importance of KH. Basically if you maintain a stable KH in your system, all other parameters will become more stable as well. I have been using KH and PH buffer but my KH still fluctuate to often and drastically. From my research it basically states that if KH fluctuates, the entire system and parameters change.

He also told me that he recently removed he's kalkstirrer from he's system and performed more frequent water changes and dosed manually if needed and all of he's LPS's Died.

Well, I did'nt really have cash for a kalkstirrer and he advised that I should start using kalkwasser. By dripping this every night it will keep my KH stable and thus stabilise all other Param like PH, Cal, Mag etc.

I then started dripping kalkwasser on Saterday en yesterday my LPS (Trumpet) opened up completely!! This obviously did something right!!

My questions are as follow: Does kalkwasser really keep KH stable. If I find that my KH is dropping should I drip more kalkwasser? There are so many views in terms of stable KH. All I know is that the kalkwasser did something right with my LPS's opening up??!!?!

Please can I have your views on this and what might have been the problem with my LPS's all along??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Tiger. Kalkwasser keeps your Ca, Alk and Ph in check. If you look at my system, it is heavily stocked with SPS, which love eating up Ca and Alk. I Dose kalk twice a day to maintain my Ca and Alk levels. Because the demand is so high, I dose 1.5 teaspoons in the morning and 1.5 teaspoons in the evening. I use the slurry method for this.

If you say after dosing kalk, your LPS were looking better. Which means either/or both your Ca and Alk were off in your tank.

Dewald@Dorry likes this.
  4. vatso

vatso

Prove IT :) - Mate please show us a pic of how you dose your Kalk - I am interested as I want to go this route some time soon! I currently use a KH buffer which works well for my current setup.

Mark

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

work out how much your corals etc use up of your alk and ca per day by testing over a period of days then you will know how much to dose of each per day, this will keep these parameters more stable.

Remember to check you pH as well, if this is fluctuating a lot it will inturn cause your Alk to fluctuate. Magnesium is another thing that keeps all of the above stable as far as I know, so checking it may also be advisable.

I myself wouldnt think over doing it on the water changes is good for LPS, they like higher nutrients in general and a more sterile tank would not help them grow. A guy in EL had the exact same problem where his lps started going south and he did more and more water changes thinking this would rectify the problem and this seemed to make the corals get worse and worse.

6. Mekaeel

lol. A pic of how I dose? I can explain it to you. I add 1 litre of RO water to a container, then add 1.5 teaspoons of kalk to it, mix it all up and pour it in to the first chamber of my sump. :)

7. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice.. I guess i'll keep on dripping kalkwasser then.

8. Dewald@Dorry

Do you actually poor the kalkwasser into the sump?? Is this safe?

9. vatso

vatso

Mek that is just the water & not the sludge left over? or do you include the sludge? do you drip or just put it in ?

Thanks
    Mark

10. vatso

vatso

I now want a video!!! pics won't help

LOL

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there Mek - why first chamber and not return chamber? - is this so that the skimmer "skims" the slurry as well?

12. brentv

brentv

isn't this slurry just undiluted kalk??? I mean there is no other chemicals in it?!

13. Mekaeel

Yes Tiger, I pour everything in. Nothing has gone wrong in the lazst two years of doing so, so I assume it is safe.
    Everything dude. I dont drip it, I pour it.
    No particular reason Chika. I know Alan just puts it straight in his DT.
    Yes Brent, it is just Calcium chloride.

14. vatso

vatso

That's good to know seems there are lots of ways to skin a cat / dog & or Fish :)

15. keyaam

keyaam

You mean calcium Hydroxide

16. Dewald@Dorry

This is nogals so cool. It is such a mission to put the kalk into the bottle en then shake, and then let it stand for the sediment to settle, and then hook it up and let it drip en then to set the drip rate etc ect.. . .

By just adding this twice or once a day directly to the first chamber in my sumb will help allot. Just one questions though. What happens to the sludge?? Does it settle at the bottom of the sump or does this get skimmed out before it settles??

17. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Meks are you not worried about ph spikes?

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

When dosing a kalk slurry there is no sludge, just mix as Mekaeel said and pour straight away, it will dissolve/dilute in the tank water. Don't wait for anything to settle in the jug, just pour the whole jug of "milk" into the sump.

19. Mouse

Mouse

Hi Viper

I'm a bit stoooopid when it comes to this - why does the LFS and the bottle say to slow drip it over time (which is a total nightmare as Tiger says).... I thought it would cause too quick a spike?
    Please help a silly Mouse...

20. Mekaeel

Nope bro. After the solution of Calcium Hydroxide is saturated, the left over is Calcium Chloride as far as I know.

Viper has answered your question Tiger :)
    I do get a spike dude, but nothing high enough to cause any damage. eg. When I dose in the morning, the Ph is usually around 7.95, 10 minutes after dosing, the Ph is around 8.10-8.15. :)
    :thumbup:

21. Mekaeel

Hi Mouse!
    That spike is not too bad hey. This is the reason why I split my dosing (morning and evening) :)

Recent Posts