St Francis Burning

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by seank, 11 Nov 2012.

1. seank

seank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Very sad, condolences for the families that lost their homes!

5. Wes

Wes

all the history, all the keepsakes and sentimental items, shame, very saddening, hope everyone is safe.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

This was a beautiful place... who would have thought it could have gone up in flames so quickly!

7. seank

seank Thread Starter

Eye opener... None of those houses were equipped to fight fires, each should have had fire hose reels, etc as it is thtch roof houses.... Council should be held responsible........ They do not even have dire dept, as they waited for the Plet fire dept to arrive

8. leslie hempel

for sure.. plett isnt exactly just up the road? its still a bit of a drive!

crazyness! i cant believe there was no proper provision for fire emergencies!

9. Dillan

Dillan

Have to agree you have a forced building requirement thatch being one of them, this was a disaster waiting to happen and the counsel must be accountable to a degree, if you have so many thatch houses so close together logic says there must be adequate fire fighting services and equipment.

10. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

A resident on 702 this morning said that the Fire station in St Francis was closed down 5 years ago and relocated to another town. Apparently the fire started literally across the road from where the fire station was and they would have been able to easily put it out before it spread.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2012
  11. JS

JS

Hi. I am from J-Bay and have loads of family in St. Francis. The fire dept (which was really ever only one bakkie with a 5000l tank on the back, was relocated to Humansdorp fire dept. These guys are even worse, I remeber with the last fire, they could not get the truck to start, as the battery was used for some other purpose....as a result a house burnt to the ground.

PE's fire dept was super fast at helping in the St Francis fires...so big up to them!

I think people dont seem to realise how bad the wind was, making their task almost impossible....my old man was helping some families move stuff out of their homes...he reckons...when he got there 10 house were burning, and within 10min another 20 odd....this is how rapidly the wind moved gthe fire along....

It is very sad that proper fire prevention equipment is not made mandatory for these houses....this is not the first fire desaster the town has seen....but def the worst....would have thought people would have learnt from past mistakes...

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I don't know much about holding the council responsible. My condolences goes out to the families affected by the fire, especially the staff employed as domestics, gardeners, etc, as they are likely to face unemployment. A significant amount of people which would have been employed over the festive season are also likely to now face a rather grim festive season.

Please don't misunderstand me, I feel sympathy for the people who have lost their homes, especially the retired folk, but at around R4 million per house, I doubt whether they will really be left destitute, perhaps more of a major inconvenience... Also have to ask, why so much publicity compared to when a hundred shacks are gutted in the town ships.... no insurance, everything lost!!!! No, I am not being insensitive, I dont wish any tragedy on anyone, whether it be the "haves" or the "have nots!"
    I jst believe there are more sides to the story....
    It was broadcast on 702 / Cape Talk, (which does not make it fact though, but nonetheless is something to consider) that insurance companies wanted to insist that home owners in St Francis fit sprinkler systems to their houses to prevent exactly this tipe of tragedy (and obvious massive claims as a result), but had to withdraw the intended clause due to threats from home owners that they will cancell their policies and take their business elsewhere, should the clause be instated or premiums increase if not installed. Again, how true that is, I am not sure.....
    My GF and I were diving through the area a while back, my first time there and we both commented on how dangerous this settlement is...

Surely, you know you live in a windy area, lots of thatch roofs... Perhaps yes, the council is to be blamed for allowing this..... apparently its their job to teach us common sense.....

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Oh how I so agree with you @irie ivan, it's terrible that there was so much destruction, but also noticed how close the houses were built to each other.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. leslie hempel

i stayed in the area a little while back and was taken for a drive through the canals by my brother in law for a short sight seeing drive, and i must say the throught of all that thatch in a concentrated area also brought the theought of distaster if a fire struck to mind.. but i was under the impression that it was factored in and prepared for...

to think such a "upper class" area had so little acess to a fire fighting service is ridiculous..

on the shack perspective... you need to remember that these people dont build with suffiecient space or acess between the houses, they cook with primitive means. (open fires etc) so its become the norm (unfortunatley) to expect disaster in these settlements..

i think the real shock for the canals is the surprise of the lack of preperation for the possibility of disaster..

it was a lovley place and i sincearly hope they find their feet again..

I see billabong are doing a clothing donation to the victims.. Dean Geraghty is auctioning off a surfboard to assist Graham Hynes with funds aswell....

so the community is pulling together !

15. leslie hempel

[​IMG]

16. Munky82

Munky82

Reckon they will think twice about going with thatch again. As far as I know they are allowed to use concrete roof tiles as roof covering in the marina. (subject to colour and profile)
    I'm still curious about the spraying certificates. (fire retartant stuff needs to be sprayed on the thatch to obtain these and they're required for new thatch roofs).
    My question; Is this required when repacking/combing the thatch? And was it enforced?

Recent Posts