SSB vs DSB vs BB vs PLENUM

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by MistaOrange, 27 Dec 2010.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

if you have to do it all over again, how would you set up your tank? Shallow Sand Bed, Deep Sand Bed, Bare Bottom or Plenum? just gathering ideas. (Tank & Sump)

Last edited: 27 Dec 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Shallow sand bed in DT, live rock and Zeo.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Your question should specify if it is your display tank you refer to or not.

Display tank. This is my opinion, feel free to differ. I'm only referring to the sand choices for your display tank.

Deep Sand Bed.
    Takes bottom 150mm of your tank. So unless you do have a 750mm or deeper tank, you are wasting valuable viewing space. Problems with sand storms and power heads pushing sand away into mountains and valleys. Limits your options on livestock, as a lot of blennies and gobies dug around in the sand, eating the beneficial bacteria and worms you want in your DSB. Areas your live rock rest on DSB, do not really act as a DSB, so your actual DSB footprint is not as big as you think. Very difficult to ensure a stable life rock stack. As anything digging underneath will cause issues.
    Shallow Sand Bed
    Still issues with sand storms and sand pushed away. Still gives space for live stock that likes or prefers sand. Looks more natural than bare bottom. Detritus can still collect at low flow areas. Easier to have a stable live rock stack.
    Bare Bottom
    No sand storms. Can really have a lot of water turnover without blowing sand all over. Great for SPS setups. Cannot house certain gobies that needs to live on sand. No detritus collection points, or less. But easier to blow that detritus out. Looks unnatural, well for me.
    Plenium
    Basically an empty space under your sand. This implies a rather thicker sand area between a DSB and a SSB. with a 20 to 50mm empty space under the sand. Suspending the sand on some platform structure. Will being sure that your live rock stack is still stable and not able to collapse your plenium. while ensuring that sand do not filter through into plenum and eventually the empty space is no more. Well that all ready highlighted the fact that to setup a plenium is not that easy. Also the full height of the plenium and sand above it implies deeper tanks. Plus all the other issues for DSB in tank applies to pleniums.

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

Thanks for your input mek & riaan:1:

6. magman

magman

Thin layer of sand in DT only, as thin as possible, sump's are for skimmers reactors live rock and pumps, not for sand!!!!

I am even going to go bare bottom with my DT, and put local zoas in on the bottom.

The only place I would put 150mm of sand is in a refugim, eg a mangrove.;)

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

dont waste ur time, unless u have 20-30 they will do nothing but absorb ur magnesium.

8. magman

magman

I know, but I think they would be awesome with one or two of those big claw red crabs and the mud skippers:thumbup:

9. MistaOrange

If using the Red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) 1 Red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle)/2-3Gal I think could be mistaken so ja you would be right (Sheeeew just as well I ordered enough & flippen expensive plants to bring into SA but will be worth every cent, so now I can start my intertidal biotype).:whistling:

LOL still trying to figure out how I'm going to make the intertidal work without using a surge bucket.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2010
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how to derail a thread

Original question about sand options for display tank.
    Last couple of replies on Mangroves and refugium setups...

and there are only 7 replies to the original question. wow

11. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

At home two tanks have DSBs in the sump with macro algae lit 24/7. One also has DSB in the DT and an area in the overflow section from the DT unlit where sponges and bits of LR are placed, the other a SSB in the DT. Another tank has a DSB in the DT and LR in the sump and another has a SSB that will be made deeper, two more that are not used one with a DSB and one with a bit of LR. I would still stick mainly to DSBs. The LR stacking issues can be resolved with putting in LR when two thirds or so of the sand is put in then adding the rest later. Try to only have LR over about a 1/4 of the area or less.
    None have skimmers.
    If I was starting again on the tanks in the house I would try to add an ATF.

12. dallasg

yet another to add to the list, before u post these read again

here is the Q he asked,
    not to mention the subject is one vs another and since Mangroves are part of this discussion, whether legal or not, all info is valid. and since he is asking how would we do it everyone has their own input

now u made me derail the thread

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

for your info, a new filter on the market in the US has an undergravel filter type collection chamber under your substrate with a pump extracting the water in the plenum area and passing it into a fine filter drip tray and back into the tank minus the muck

14. dallasg

Yip I saw it on brs I think
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. MistaOrange

That's an interesting idea cool.
    I was once told that you shouldn't have an under gravel filter as it creates dead spots but yet when I was in Florida recently I noticed that alot of the marine tanks use them.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Interesting idea. like the undergravel filter used on fresh water tanks. obviously fine sand will not work. so you need coarse media like crush coral. Obviously not a very thick layer. How do they ensure on big tanks that you got an uniform, or almost equal water suction through the gravel all over? Any area not having flow will act as detritus trap.

Tank & Sump, sorry I thought only tank, as plenium and bare bottom are display options. But then if this discussion is open to the complete setup and all options for display and sump. Then too many options and combinations.

But then you should first ask yourself, what fish and corals do you want. Especially on the corals. That will define firstly your lightning options. Also your tank depth. Then how clean you want your water, for SPS less phosphates than for example softies. SPS more internal flow. SPS more flow, less sand in display, cleaner water, better filtration, or more advanced options like reactors - carbon, phosphate bio-pellets. Kalkwasser? CARX reactor CO2... so what do you end up with?

So where do you start? by asking yourself what corals you want to keep. What other reefers do with their setup and what they want, might not work for you.

Actually, the answer is - how thick is your wallet.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

This is sooooo broad. So lets define some parameters.

For R10000
    A setup for softies - (leathers, zoa's, mushrooms).
    Minimum display size 350L
    Excluding the live rock and actual live stock.

What can I get. Suggestions for complete setup. Tank, stand sump skimmer lights return pumps, internal flow and whatever filtration systems that will all together cost less than R10000.

if you have to do it all over again, for under R10000, just gathering ideas. (Tank & Sump)

Recent Posts