Square Spot Anthia Care

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 24 May 2011.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Okey Anthia guru's...

Give me a coral that lives in dark, and I can make them live a happy life, but my knowledge and expertise with fish is very limited, so I need your help.

I bought a male Square Spot Anthia - Pseudanthias pleurotaenia over the weekend. He is the only fish in my system (no idea where then Yasha Goby is again:p)

From what I have read, these fish can take up to a week or more to acclimatize, and may hide most of the time untill acclimatized. Am I right in saying they will also not eat in this time?

I am offering it live brine nauplii (however I think the fish is too big for that) and also frozen brine shrimp. Even tried flakes although I read they do not really take dried food.

What should I know about this fish to keep it happy and healthy? Can anyone that knows this fish give me some pointers please?

PS: The tank is dimly lit as they need it. The tank will also be upgraded soon (within the next three weeks) so the space for this one fish should be enough as they do not swim so actively like other anthias from what I have researched.

Here is a pic of the fish (not the actual one I have though, but mine also has the spikes aready and exact colouration):

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

IME they do best in large groups of fish. I will post a video this evening of them eating pellets.

4. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

I have a Lyretail anthias and it takes spirulina flakes. What I had to do during acclimation was mix a bunch of different foods together... small (very small) pellets, crushed spirulina flakes, crushed dried Krill, and frozen reef plankton (again very small). Mixed them all together and fed tank multiple times per day (anthias do better with multiple, smaller feedings).

By mixing the foods together it gets them to try and learn to eat the pellets and flakes (because they go for the krill and reef plankton). Just my experience... hope it helps.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

That's correct. I find the same.

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thank you. How long after introduction did yours start to eat?

7. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Mine started eating within a couple of days.

8. Jaco Schoeman

Another thing, due to the size of my tank NOW, I do not want to add females yet. Is this okey if I only add females a month or two down the line?

I know of an LFS that has two or three females, but the tank will be too small for four of these fish, once I upgrade it will be big enough I recon.

9. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

I probably would have added them all together but I don't see any reason why that would be a problem. As long as there's only one male you should be fine. He may get 'territorial' so several females would be better than one and I would add all the females at the same time.

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

look in the sump.... again :p

11. Jaco Schoeman

Yeah, that is my intention. When the females come in they come in four at once.

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

with my male anthia all he did was hide for two days then I would spot him swimming around now and then. I believe my chromis helped to get him out as they are so active and made him feel safe. he went ballistic for mysis but spat brine out. still didn't get him eating flakes as he just spits it out but i will give pellets a try. But overall he is eating mysis like a pig and is well adjusted to the tank. I bought him out of the packet and he is a big oke

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Lol just a question.. Can you add a different species of anthia females? Or must they be the same?

14. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

I suspect it wouldn't matter at all. Problem would be that Anthias are protogynous hermaphrodites; in the absence of a male the largest female will turn male. So, if you add a bunch of females from another species you'll eventually get a male of that species.

15. Jaco Schoeman

Imagine you are married for 15 years, and have three daughters. Then one morning, when you wake up, your wife turned into a male!! :lol:

16. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Yeah, but in order for that to happen you'd have to be :angel:

17. Tony

Tony

My squamipinnis take cyclopeeze but if your tank is too dark they may not be seeing the food

Recent Posts