SPS

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have been keeping a marine tank for close on a year now and while i have had a few set backs, overall i think i have come a long way....

I would now like to try my hand at SPS..... what would be the "easiest" or most "hardy" sps to start with ? Also which of the sps would grow the quickest?

Anyone got some frags for me to start with ?

- Montipora digidata
- Montipora capricornis
- Hydnopora

Some suggestions..... I would not try acropora, millepora, poscilipora(sp?), right now....

Be aware that you will have to increase your calcium additives to the tank water, when you have started with SPS. As well as ensure that your phosphate levels are SUPER SUPER low!

Also - try and get frags of these corals first, before you purchase complete colonies.

thanks guys ....

Jaacques, i am well aware of the calcium requirement and have plans to increase my additives there ..... but thanks for the heads up...

water parameters are looking good at the moment but i have plans to add a small algea scrubber to the system this weekend to aid in maintaining the water parameters....

Robin, will take you up on a frag or two soon !

Birds nest are easy peasy.

I find birdsnests pretty easy to keep alive, although I agree they can be tricky to colour up nicely if the conditions are not spot on. High flow area, high light worked for me.

Birds nest are easy peasy.

Some guys can't get them to colour up.

Won't touch it, way to hard, even acro's are easier.

I find birdsnests pretty easy to keep alive, although I agree they can be tricky to colour up nicely if the conditions are not spot on. High flow area, high light worked for me.
Would a birds nest not then be a good starter SPS? If you can get it to colour up then surely you would have 'mastered the art' of successful SPS keeping and you should have success with other SPS species?

Here is my 2 cents worth as a newbie in SPS, as far as growth of SPS goes I have had no problems, all my SPS's including montipora and acropora are growing at a fast rate and as far as I can tell are healthy, the only problem I have is that other than the orange montipora capricornis all my SPS's are mainly brown. I've found SPS easier than softy's which do well until I have a power failure then disintegrate or in the case of xenia get eaten by a crab, while the SPS's keep going strong (crab as easier to find).

I have a large hydnopora if you want.

R300-00 bucks if youre interested

R300-00 bucks if youre interested

sounds great, do you have a pic for me?

Would a birds nest not then be a good starter SPS? If you can get it to colour up then surely you would have 'mastered the art' of successful SPS keeping and you should have success with other SPS species?

I would say yes, although montiporas are generally considered better starter SPS corals... slightly less demanding and more forgiving IMO.

Here is my 2 cents worth as a newbie in SPS, as far as growth of SPS goes I have had no problems, all my SPS's including montipora and acropora are growing at a fast rate and as far as I can tell are healthy, the only problem I have is that other than the orange montipora capricornis all my SPS's are mainly brown.

A sign of excessive nutrients and/ or insufficient lighting... or they havent settled in yet

I suppose that should depend on the size of the tank- hydnoporas are pretty aggro corals.

Neil. Check out the classifieds

@ shaun, my appologies

@ tony, thanks for the offer and pic in classifieds, please see my pm for my reasons for not taking it.

@monti.. thanks for the feedback, my research is pointing me towards montiporas as my first sps !

my research is pointing me towards montiporas as my first sps !
Plating monti's are very nice, as they grow out they create some really nice shapes, they just need a fair amount of space around them. You get some nice colours too like purple, red, green, orange. Go for it.:)

Make sure your calcium and alkalinity are at the correct levels (also all other parameters) and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Agree with Viper. Digitata are also nice as well though- fast growing.:)

In terms of Acros. I do find that species such as A.Fomosa and A.Millepora are pretty hardy. And of coarse Monitpora Capricornis (AKA Salad bowl) and Montipora Digitata are extremely hardy.
As for Birds nest (Seriatopora Hysterix) . Yes they are hardy and the give you a clear indication of your nutrients in the tank. The higher the nutrients, they darken up quickly and if nutrients are low they will colour up well.

Back
Top Bottom