Urgent help needed Sps trouble puzzle

Reaction score
Okay so first things first
Same lights for the past 5 months.
Added 2 frags and they are fine - hot pink mili and a blue stag (both are 100%)
All paramaters stable.

I did however have an alakalinity spike about 3 months and i did expect to loose a frag or two...
2013-02-04214729.jpg

Those are my last frags from about 30!

Maybe a colony...
2013-02-04214642.jpg

This was the latest one. A stunning table mili.
The first colony i lost the bleaching started from the base and i thought it was the alkalinity.

But this table mili didnt start from the base.
The tips didnt show any signs of bleaching but there was a small amount of algae growing on the tips that started with no warning.

Now i see the same symptoms on my humulis colony!
2013-02-04214704.jpg

You can see the tips on this humulis is dying and fragging this mofo is one hell of a mission!!
PS: Other colonies that i fraged that started to show sines didnt make it and neither did the frags

Here is a pic of the latest coral that got hit.
Lost it still looks like it has polyps where the algae is...
20130225_181209.jpg

My paramaters:
Calcium 430
magnesium 1300
kh 8.7
Ph 8.4
phosphates around 0.03
Nitrate 0
Potasium was on 430 about 2 weeks ago.

Temp 25
Using dosing pumps for kh and calsium. One goes in the first chamber and the other one in the last chamber of the sump.

Tank size:
1,2 x 50x 50
Movement. One 3000 and one 5000 sun sun pumps and one tunze 6095 pump + 4000 liter return pump

I didnt toucht the substrate.
I have 3 aquaray tiles on and it gave my corals a good boost.
I do 20 liters water change weekly.

Last edited:
What bothers me is it didnt affect all my corals at the same time.
It took a coral at the one side than the other side.

If it was a bacteria or a pest it would have wiped out everything from one side?
Corals that was right next to each other didnt affect each other even if the one died.

I think i might have depleted a element?
Cyano is starting to pop-up

Last edited:
I am experiencing stn from the base on some of my sps...
So far what i have found that could attribute to the stn is:
1. alkalinity swings
2. aggressive carbon
3. aggressive skimming
4. iodine defeciency(im working on this one at the moment)
5. as i find more about stn i will post...its a nightmare looking for the problem...

Also if you running ULNS then high alk can the source of stn from what ive read

Alkalinity stable for the past 2 months.
Havent changed my carbon in a while...
Not skimming that much
Was allso thinking of iodine but i started having cyano problems about a week ago and im afraid dosing iodine might make things worse.

I dont see red bugs but im still wondering about flat worms...
But if it is flat worms it wont explain why my coral starts dying from the tips or does it?

Have you checked for any stray electricity. Possibility exists that a pump may be leaking electricity and through electrolysis producing chloride and or dissolving copper into the water column.

I would also explore iodine if you are not dosing.

What is the timeframe here? Iodine wont make things worse. Please post some tank pictures and sump pics. Also, what is your salinity, measrued with? Calibrated when?

Cyano = opportunistic feeder on nitrogen from remaining tissue post necrosis.. But other questions quite relative.

Yes agreed Irie, but is the cayno close by the SPS corals that’s dying? Or is it further away on the substrate?

How dirty is the substrate? does it releases a green cloud of detritus when disturbed? That is normally an indication of not enough internal flow and too low sump turnover. Not allowing suspended particles to go out via the overflow, not keeping suspended particles suspended long enough to go out.

@Tony I use salifert test kits and i try to run a ULNS.
@Nemo I havent felt any stray voltage sinse i turned off my heater at the beginning of the summer.

@Irie It started from mid December.
I use a refractometer
I had a alkalinity spike. My calcium's dosing pump pipe fell out and my kh went up to 13 with out me knowing. I corrected it slowly.
Will post pic tonight of sump what the tank looks like now.
Tank has been running for more than 2 years.
@RIAAN I have 3 aquar ray LED tiles and 2 54w t5 units.
Depth is 50 cm.
Coral from the bottom to mid died. The one in the middle at about 30cm from the light started dying first. It was first just milli's. I think that was cause of the kh spike that caused the first milli to bleach from the base.

But then the symptoms changed to what you are seeing now.

Riaan that is the best question i have heard!! Thats the thing that bothers me the most!!! Its driving me nuts!!!!!!!!

This is what my tanked look like before the spike
2012-11-18115338.jpg

And this was the beginning of Feb
2013-02-04214612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The cayno is actually more on the spots where the privious collonies were after i took the dead coral out but it is popping up on other spots. Not on the substrate.

I am busy with a upgrade but i dont want this thing to follow me.

Most of the red in the second pic isnt cayno. Not sure what it is.

Back
Top Bottom