Urgent help needed SPS - safe rate to raise Alk?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by 2una, 9 Oct 2015.

1. 2una

2una

Hi Guys,
    1st up i'm an sps noob.
    Local lfs had some acro arrived which is rare as hens teeth to find here in Durban.
    Bought 2 pieces & before i started dripping them i tested what the ALK was in the bag water.
    Turns out its 5 dkh...confirmed this with both salifert & hanna test kits.
    Confirmed with lfs this was the same tank water they came out of & not some other water.
    My tank is +/- 9.0dkh
    SO
    I'm assuming this is too large a gap to drip them & then put them into the tank so i've put the 2 pieces in a tank i had laying around with luckily almost enough of their own water to cover them.
    I don't think these have been in the 5 dkh tank too long(recent shipment)
    What sort of rate do you think i should raise the alk at?
    1dkh/day OK or take it back to say 7dkh a bit quicker to NSW levels ?

Also i don't have a spare light for them & have put the tank by a window so it can get sun...this should be ok yes?

2. Guest

3. OP
    2una

2una

Some of the water i needed to use to cover the coral was from a small bucket i dripped acclimated a fish in so with that the alk is already mid 6's so that's a more comfortable level i THINK,hope that wasn't too much of a spike but nothing i could do about it otherwise it would have been sitting out of the water.

From here forwards is 1dkh/day safe to raise it or is that hitting it a little hard & rather take it up slower?

4. 459b

459b Moderator

How good is the filtration in the tank they in?
    1 per day should be fine.

5. OP
    2una

2una

Hi & thanks for the reply - filtration is zero just a bare tank with small powerhead & a heater....Already had to take a bigger powerhead out as it was creating too much heat.
    Problem is to get a filter happening i'd need to raise the water level & how do i do that with a 35ppt mix but keep the alk where it is?
    I'm all ears if there's some tricks to pull for what i need to do to keep them in there ok for a few days

Last edited: 9 Oct 2015
  6. OP
    2una

2una

Guess i could go get some more of that 5dkh water & buffer it up so i could get a filter happening but i'll do that tomorrow,i don't want to tinker with the alk in there today again

[​IMG]

There's all i have happening at the moment

Last edited: 9 Oct 2015
  7. 459b

459b Moderator

If the KH was so low, what were the other parameters?

8. OP
    2una

2una

mg 1140/ca 400/ remembering it was mixed with some of my higher parameter water before i tested those...out of the salifert & hanna the higher one was 5.4dkh on the alk

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator

9DKH is fine. Let if fall to 8 DKH and hold it there, basically try to avoid a swing in parameters.

butcherman likes this.
  10. OP
    2una

2una

Hi Mekaeel ,
    Thanks for the reply & offer,At the moment i have drops in my ears & i can't hear a thing but will take a rain check on the visit for sure.
    60 hours i dripped water to equalise the alk &.dropped them into the tank this evening after squaring up the temps also....fingers crossed from here on in.
    Thanks for the replies guys

Recent Posts