SPS Question

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Both these corals were the same size around 10 months ago. The one has not grown and I have tried everything - different lighting, flow etc.

Is it possible that it is a slow growing species ?

52848e7c27ddf84c.jpg

52848e7c292148d4.jpg

mantisfreak

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
There are some species that grow very slowly. There are also species that won't grow upwards until their base is encrusted very well. Have you tracked the growth on the rock?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Can't say I have, but it just seems to not grow at all. Yet all my other SPS are showing good growth.

I will try monitor the base growth

sunburst

Foxface
Reaction score
Cannot comment between individual Acros, but what i suspect is that some take a while to find their groove; but when they do they can surprise. Constantly Moving colonies around i feel stops their growth completely. I have a green digi that gets really pissed when i move it. It goes completely white, and then takes ages to settle in, and regain its colour.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
The reason I have been moving it around is it just wouldn't colour up in th high flow/high brightness areas of the tank.

It seems to be colouring up a little on the tank floor.

Could this indicate it is a deeper ocean species ?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Although certain colonies might be deep water, they do adapt to the lighting conditions in our tank. Just like any coral, acclimatize it to light.ie.from bottom moving up.
Some SPS take long, up to months to colour up and grow.
Keep this guy in one place and dont move him. Take pics(from the same angle) on a weekly basis to monitor growth and colour changes.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
More than 10 months to colour up, I rather forget it. loads of better corals to put my efforts into :)

Mekaeel

Reaction score
I know it can be frustrating, I know what you going through.
Remember certain species require very low nutrients in order to colour up, they are more sensitive to others. Try and reduce your feeding regime and increase you water changes, this will help in nutrient export.
From what i know, your Ca and Alk are good and you have a decent skimmer,lighting and flow.So thats sorted.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice, but I am not prepared to do this for one coral that doesn't grow. :)

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Give it a shot, whats there to loss from a little effert?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
If the one frag is doing well,take the depressed guy and stick him next to it. Maybe he will like the conditions there :)
Remember I tried that a couple of months ago and just went brown, so I moved it lower down, did nothing, now right at the bottom of the tank it is starting to colour up again. So I am stubbed ????

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Here is the coral back in April and was the same as this from December.

52848e7d6fd04ce5.jpg

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
I was under the impression,they were both the same species. If they not the same, dont do so.
if you look in the pic above, they look similar, but i am not convinced they are actually the same :whistling:

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
If its happy lower down, leave it there.
Thanks for the advice Alan, the sps has started colouring up and has even got a small coral shoot at it's base :thumbup:

Obliviously doesn't like the strong light and flow at the top of the tank

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
LOL, there are corals that dont stick to the rules.