SPS polyps disappeared

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by trad, 23 Jul 2009.

1. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

Hi guys my sps were doing so well but i was in a rush two weeks ago and did a quick water change without checking if the temp was right, the water temp in the tank dropped to 19 and no the polyps on the sps only sit out about 1mm and they used to stick out much further also lost a lot of colour.

I also haven't changed my carbon in a while, could that have any effect??

Any other causes you guys could think of. or was it just the shock. It looks like they may recover but a piece of may poccillopora turned white and is dead now.

CA and ALk is fine, temp is about 22-24 cause of the cold, and I also tried to add more salt a week or two ago because my salinity looked low.

If any one can tell me which of these was the worst of evils or probably caused the damage It will be greatly appriciated. Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Trad, it is definitely shock related. Please post all water parameters including salinity.
    Try and raise you temperature to 25-27 degrees.

4. trad

trad Thread Starter Fish, thats the word!

I do a water change every two weeks. 18% of vol. Tropic marine salt. Also added about 5cm to my DSB cause it was a bit shallow. and added 3 chromis a cardinal and a flame angel all with in the last 4 weeks?

5. trad

ALk 8.5
    CA 390
    Phos cant detect but there a bit cause I have a bit of fur acculmulating on my LR need to change the rowaphos, i think the phos is due to the pellet food im feeding.
    NO3 0 cant detect
    AMM 0
    Salinity ? I dont use a professional salinity mtr but The one I have shows the salinity of about 1.024

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I would suggest cross checking your salinity with a refractrometer Trad.

7. Monti

Monti

Definately stress related, although it should normally sort out quite quickly if your water temp went up to normal within a reasonable time. However it sounds like you need another heater or something because prolonged cold water is probably the issue.

Ive done some fairly quick changes with the freshly made water pretty cold and Ive never had any issues. Granted, when Ive done a rush change, Ive never done more than around 8%, so the water never drops below a degree or so.

8. trad

Yip i also think it is the prolonged cold was, although the salinity could be an issue it never even changes??

Normally for a water change i just weigh the amount of salt with a scale for 25l of water then add that to the tank. Is that the best way to do it. I use 833grams for 25L of water and the salinity seems to be fine, out of the 3 25L drums i add 900grams to one just to counter salt removed from skimming but my salinity is alwas kind of low. should it be higher than 1.024??

Thinking of putting the drums in the bath and then filling the bath with hot water to heat the drums up before the next water change, how else could i do it??

9. Monti

Monti

Answers in red

10. trad

cool tanks, I mix my water in 3 drums bit of a pain to buy 3 heatersbut i guess thats what i'll have to do.

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

No one nipping at the corals ?

12. martinhal

martinhal

833g seems a bit low I add 1.1kg of TM to 25l to get SG of just over 1.025 with refractrometer. I have had 3 power failures of between 8-12 hours in the last two months with temps down to 18 , not one SPS showed any stress.
    I suspect your SG is off or your angel is nipping at them...

13. trad

Thanks Martin i ws wondering about that, my sg is always low sitting at 1023 when i checked last night will add more when i do the next water change this week-end.

The angel is 100% ok i haven'y seen either of them paying any attention to the sps, i have a hammer and frog spawn that i thought they would be much more interested in than the sps.

14. trad

Quick question, sg increases or decreases with temp?

15. martinhal

martinhal

As temp increases sg will go down . I keep my SG just above 1.025 and SPS seem happy.

Buy a cheap heater to worm up you water before a change.

16. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

hmmmm, my temp was sitting around 30 and my sg according to a newly purchased refractometer says sg was 1,031. busy correcting as i type.

17. Pugsly

Pugsly

I have a heater and chiller unit installed to my tank - my temp. is a consistant 25C and I keep my SG at 1.025

When I do water changes i ensure my water is at room temp - sometimes I park my car in the sun, place my water in the containers covered in a black bag and let it warm up that way for a hour or so, then i take water out my tank and use the "warm" water to fill it up again

18. trad

yip i'm going to put the in the bath and fill it with hot water for tomorrows change has see how easy that work, going to buy an extra heater anyway cause at the moment i'm leaving a bar heater on in the room the entire night.

I'm definately going to fix my sg as well over the next week or so want to do it slowly.

19. martinhal

martinhal

Keep us updated. Hope things improve.

20. sunburst

sunburst

As temp. increases water becomes less dense. Therefore SG drops.

I do not believe temp. is the problem. Tropical reef areas generally are warmer and do have marginally higher SG due to evaporation. Temperature swings like your water change concern are not uncommon with off shore winds and cold upwellings.

Your water change regime would suggest that your water quality is of the highest order. The next two IMO that should be considered.....are To much/little light to much/little flow or even both; would be my guess

21. trad

Did a water change this week end, putting the containers in a hot bath did not increase the temperature at all. I put my heaters in the 25L comtainers and they warmed up in about 15min each. Total temp swing was about a degree much better than before.

Thanks sunburst, the DT is 550L I have two seio 1100 and one 1500, would that be enough water movement?

For the lighting I run a AM 2 x 250w MH 10000K (Tubes 25 months old) and 4x 54w T5s giesseman 15000K I think (all new). Althought the MHs are old i would not think that they would be that much of an issue because they're a bit of overkill already, but if anyone else thinks it may be the prob let me know.

Recent Posts