SPS Growth

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ThaneF, 10 Oct 2011.

1. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi Guys/Gals

A little while ago I had the standard 5t lighting above my tank, my SPS's seemed to do well but growth seemed slow. I had an incident when my frog spore fell onto one of my SPS's and stung the cr@p out of it. Most of the coral is dead but there is some life at the bottom of the SPS. Will the SPS grow over is old skeleton or must I break it off and grow new? The reason why I ask is becaus the other SPS's seem to be having a great growth spurt but this one doesn't seem to be doing much/if anything :(

Sorry about the quality of the pic - digital zoom is seldom great :( but you sure you can see what I'm speaking about

[​IMG]

On a brighter note, since I installed my LED's the growth of my SPS's have increased and I would like you know if you feel that it's a good growth rate. :thumbup: I have also notice a big change in my coral colour since I have been running th LED's :yeahdude:

This pic was taken on the 24-08-2011

[​IMG]

This pic was taken today 10-10-2011

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would break it off, i did that and the new growth is much better, maybe its in my mind

4. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

Bump.
    No other comments?

5. Afsal

Afsal

I agree with Dallas , that is some awesome growth as well. Nice pics too. Well done

6. Seabass

Seabass

Growth is insane.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

its a bit close to the hammer / frogspawn . Note the growth spurt direction: up and away. It has no vhance in an allelopathic standoff, so it goes for hight, knowing the lps will eventually reach and kill its base. Not a problem, as it will be up high and basal death will not affect the rest of the colony...
    Until its grownn to the surface and the lps catches up. But by then you might have fragged a lot of clones or moved it...

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

thats some great growth!

9. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Awesome growth. What LED's are you using and are you dosing anything in your tank?

10. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

@irie_ivan, do LSP need that much area around them? The SPS isn't all that close but what you are saying does make sense, I was wondering why the one "frag" out of the four wasn't growing - there may have to be a reshuffle again :eek:
    @Ghaydeen, I'm running 12x cree LED's (6x white, 6x royal blue) - you can see my build here: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=27031 I dose brightwell Magnesium, Reef Code A and B

Ok, so the general consensus is that I must break off the "dead" parts and start from scratch?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Lps, especially frogspawns, hammers, galaxea need plenty space. If its got tentscles, give it space. Also bear in mind that once it touches a competitor, its not simply a polite prick. It actually leaves stinging cells behind which carry on stinging.

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

HAHA u mean tenticles, i read testicles

13. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Interesting about ur sps I have an acro that bleached sometime ago and it was almost a gonna I think it was neglect and huge shift in kh that caused it anyway I left it and started correcting the parameters and it started growing again and has grown over the dead sections so yes that is how reefs are built new life onto of dead I will try up load a pic nice work

Recent Posts