SPS growing too close

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by viper357, 11 Jul 2009.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi guys

I have this yellow Acro which is mounted on a big frag plug, in the pic you can see the additional arrowed acro which looks blue to me (this was a hitchhiker on the frag plug:yeahdude:), now I'm a bit worried as the blue one is encrusting up the frag plug upwards towards the yellow acro, although they seem to be the same type of acro just different colours, what is going to happen when these two bases touch?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Dean, by the looks of it, it is the same species. Leave it there and let them encrust into each other, there will not be any chemical warfare as they are the same species.
    You might wonder why the colors are different, usually when a coral encrusts, the color is different as compared to the parent, but after a while, it will change into the same color as the mother colony.

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Just to add, look at the color of the base of the parent, it is the same as the frag :)

5. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

I did notice that the base colours are the same, but the tips of the small piece are a definite blue color, there's no hint of yellow in there at all. I will try to get a better pic of the small piece, I'm really hoping it is different to the big one, but I guess time will tell. Thanks for the help.

6. seank

seank

What are the round fluffy things??

7. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

No idea, some type of algae fluff ball thing.

8. seank

seank

thanks

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

I've read about gluing two different coloured acro's together to form a multi coloured one. It sometimes works if the species are closely related and sometimes the stronger one wins. Would be awesome if you can get a yellow and blue one to grow into each other...

10. Tony

Tony

I have an acro and a montipora danae touching and they leave each other alone but on the other hand a bought a pink mille a while ago and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't open as they are hairy buggers. It turned out that there was a small S. caliendrum growing next to it which was stressing it out. Once I removed it the caliendrum the mille took off and started growing.

Recent Posts