Sps corals bleaching ??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Charl_Stanhope, 17 May 2012.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Im confused,I recently added sps corals to my setup. The ones towards the bottom of my tank is doing really well where there is less flow and less light,but the ones towards the top of my tank,is starting to bleach from to bottom up,where the sps has overgrown the frag plug,there is still good polyp extension on the corals. Why would the sps towards the bottom of the tank seem to do so much better?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hails

Hails

What lights do you have? Might be too powerful.

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

Im running 32,3w leds without optics at the moment. Wouldnt my soft/lps corals high up in the tank also suffer if the lights are too strong?

5. Hails

Hails

We had to turn down our LEDs because they were causing some bleaching of our birdsnest, didnt have any other problems except the sps bleaching. Birdsnest is fine now.

6. Charl_Stanhope

Did you turn down leds and then after a while switch them back on? If I switch of a few leds,then my sps corals towards the bottom might suffer?

7. Hails

Hails

Left it on about 70% output, sps on bottom of tank are fine after over a month on 70%.

8. Charl_Stanhope

Im definitley gonna try turning down my leds. I have also noticed a monti frag doing exceptionally well down towards the bottom,nice colors but not showing much signs of growth, and the monti frag towards top of the tank growing better but the color of the frag is not as bright(with little bleach spots). Ive noticed spots on my torch coral that is the highest up in my tank,could that also be that my lights are a little too powerful?

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

Yes as @Hails said, your lights are too strong. You need to acclimatise corals to light by placing them at the bottom of your tank first and slowly moving them up. I suggest you move them down if they are moveable, if not reduce your light intensity to a level where your lower SPS are fine and let it sit there for a while. Once the SPS are on the road to recovery you can slowly increase your light intensity over a few weeks back to normal and then start moving your SPS back up their spots slowly.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi Guys

I put my money on a Potassium shortage. I had the same problem - bleaching from the bottom up. If it was a light acclimation issue it would have bleached top down.

The problem with the top monti might be related to a ver slight iodine issue, but should be fixed with a few water changes. Are you carbon dosing at all (probiotics)?
    One other tell tale is your will montipora have faded colors aswell.

Charl_Stanhope likes this.
  11. Charl_Stanhope

i am dosing special blend at the mo. im also using the all in one master supplement from microbelift. it has got some iodine in it. I also dont understand why the top of the corals are not bleaching firts.but its from the base up. ill see if I can take a pic quick

12. williet

How often do you do a water change ? This sounds like classic potassium shortage!
    Using special blend count as using probiotics except you are just not dosing carbon.

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  13. Charl_Stanhope

i am doing 1,sometimes 2, 20l nsw water changes a week.thats on a total volume of 128l. Maybe I should stop the carbon dosing and see how things go.could it be the special blend?

how do you get the patassium up if thats the problem?

14. williet

Get Brightwell potassion 250ml bottle should be fine for you I am chatting with Chris Brightwell (Brightwell USA)just to try and understand the basic dosage regime better. But try a once of dosage every three - four days and see if it improves ? Do understand you must be very careful not to OD your corals.

One of these bacterial strains in my experience seem to consume potassium. You see this phenomonen especially in Zeovit based setups and other type ulns systems. Try the prodibio biodigest? cheaper less work and it works for me so far .

15. Charl_Stanhope

here is a photo,sorry,forgot to rotate it. i dont know if you guys can see it properly on the photo. there is absolutely no sign of any bleaching on the tips of these corals. the base is bleached(with polyps extended still) and Ive seen a spot halfway up the coral.

[​IMG]

16. Charl_Stanhope

Do you still dose potassium when you dose prodibio?

17. Hails

Hails

I've only seen special blend do good in tanks.

Potassium should be at around 380-400ppm. There are Potassium additives available.

Charl_Stanhope likes this.
  18. Charl_Stanhope

going to try dose potassium and see how things go.thanx for the help guys.will keep this thread updated

19. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

as @Hails pointed out we had issues with the new LED lights and bleaching. We have also had an iodine issue, do to red macro algea which consumed all the idoine. The problem was cured in a few days.
    befor
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

are you dosing anything in the tank at the moment?

21. Charl_Stanhope

@butcherman , Im currently dosing Ca when it gets low,also all in one from microbelift,and then special blend. thats about it. maybe mg once in a while. Oh yes,and kh/ph buffer on water changes and top ups.

Recent Posts