SPS colour, MHs and mounting

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by trad, 19 May 2009.

1. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

Hi guys

My tank is improving everyday and i just have a few questions. I will try post pics asap I have take them but dont have a cable to put them onto my laptop.

I have 2 sps a pink pocillopora and a met. green acropora which I got from Midas blenny. I ran my tank for about 3 months with no light, no water changes and no additives while I was sick in and out of hospital. The SPS frags have no colour and have brown polyps. I have since turned the Mhs back on for 4hrs (3days) a day and the T5s run for 10hrs a day(2weeks). Will the SPS recover or have they died and i'm just holding onto dead shells. The polyp have seemed to emerge since the mhs are back on. but no colour.

The Mhs are 10000K 250W aqua medic bulbs probably 24 months Plus old. I cant afford new bulbs this month or next. Is it bad to run such old lights?? I want to replace them with 20000K AM does anyone know the cost and who stocks them my LFS only has jap bulds and geisemman bulbs

what does pratleys vs a coral mounting equivalent cost??

I had a calcium accident and my CA is around 550mg, did a water change and the reading did change at all. My water looks a bit milky could CA at that level make your water milky and will it come done gradually.

Thanks for your help guys.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

trad its probably best what you are doing at the moment by aclimating your corals with weak bulbs as they will most definatley bleach if the light intensity is too much.
    i would recomend 20K bulds with a good Par output for consistent long term light delivery.

pratleys putty is fine to use, i mount all my monti's with it.so far no problem, a few years ago we tested it in a small tank full of mullet and had no ill effect.

yes you could be experiencing a small snow storm due to calcuim mag/ph and alk being out of check, its best to test these parameters and report so that we can steer you in the corrent direction.

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey Trad, one of the reasons why you SPS have darkened is because of high nutrients. I would do some water changes over next few weeks. Your corals are certainly alive if you have polyp extension.
    In terms of lighting, let the bulbs run, and as soon as you save up enough $$$ replace them. MH bulbs should be changed every year.
    Pratley is way cheaper than the 'branded' coral glues you find at the LFS, it is safe and something that I use aswell.
    Oh yes, in the mean time stop dosing Ca. Let it come down, also water changes will help.

lIghty likes this.
  5. trad

trad Thread Starter Fish, thats the word!

The met. green acropora has gone a bit white since i turned the MHS back on, could this be bleaching?? Will a coral that has bleached return colour once it it acclimatized or does it die? should i move it lower down in the tank, or do recovering coral go white sometimes??

Thanks Mek and Les, my nurients were very high and had algae for africa in the tank. Since i've fitted a Phos reactor and i dont have any algae i my post pics. The turn around is amazing.

Doing another regular water change this week-end will test again to see if its improved.

6. Mekaeel

Yes the 'white' is a sign of bleaching. Move the coral to the bottom of the tank and once it has recovered, slowly move him back up to the top.
    Give it time, run your P04 remover along with heavy skimming, this will help in reducing your nutrients.

Last edited: 19 May 2009
  7. Mekaeel

Oh yes, pics will help :)

8. trad

[​IMG]Where can i get a pokerstar monti??

9. Mekaeel

Have you checked out Idol Marine? I would wait for few weeks before adding anymore corals and fish to the tank though. Let the system 'balance out'.

10. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Trad. Glad to hear you are back on track after your illness...

I am now expert on SPS, but you might also run some carbon, and replace it within two weeks... Corals that bleach can take up another / different strand of zooxanthellae algae so do as what was mentioned above, just move it down for now...

Good luck!!! :thumbup:

11. Monti

Monti

FYI Pratleys costs about R30 or so versus R150-R250 for reef putty.

I would go with the advice given above- move your sps to the bottom of the tank and slowly move up to their final spot over a period of a few weeks. Phosphate treat the heck oout of the tank

Best of luck

12. trad

No i will not buy more sps until i have new lights and my current ones are doing well. just wanted to know if you could get the above sps.

13. trad

just wanted to know if anyone had a coral like that one in SA.

14. martinhal

martinhal

Yes pratley is fine. I have been using it with no ill effect.

Mullet ... I am not sure Mullet are the best test subjects , growing up in Durban I spent lots of time in the habour , the dirt that Mullet can handle is amazing. I think Durban habour water may bleach partley putty.

Perhaps a reefer in Durbs would test some habour water and post results...

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

trad pics please;)

16. Monti

Monti

Have only ever seen one in person... and Ive looked plenty.

17. DragonReef

DragonReef

The Incredible Hulk Monti ? - There are a few around. And a couple of Superman Monti's too.

Curvball ran his tank on water that he collected right out of the Harbour near the NSRI base. And his SPS had colour ;)

18. Mekaeel

Same here, on my old 'featured tank', I use to collect water at times from the Harbour and my SPS were doing well. Right now I wouldnt touch it with all the construction and dredging going on there.

19. trad

[​IMG]

20. trad

So you guys can see the colour here is not great at all. I've had the MHs on for 4hrs a day for about a week now. Some of the new growth (very little heads coming out of SPS) on the pocillopora seem to be a better pink colour than the rest of the coral but still dull compared to the parent in midasblennies tank.

21. trad

[​IMG]

Recent Posts