Spotting good LR

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Gwydion, 9 May 2011.

1. Gwydion

Gwydion

Hi all, so everyday I learn a little bit more on the marine subject and can get a little intimidating at times:eek:

I have a Jebo 40L tank which I have converted into a nano tank. Just recently I got my skimmer going and all is looking good. Currently I have 1kg of LR which is starting to show some life. I have a hermit crab for almost 2 weeks in there and doing good.

In Jo'burg there are a few good aquarium shops that stock live rock but at a hefty price, just saturday I was at a place charging R200 p/kg. And another place in the eastrand selling for R42 p/kg

Few things I want to know:

1) How do you know/spot a good piece of live rock?

2) How long can you keep your rock out of the water before damaging life within it?

3) My father in law told me he has some rock which they collected a few years ago..it looks like LR but how do you know? Good idea or not? (you know where Im going with this)

4) Lastly, how much live rock should I put in the tank?

Thanks in advance!

G

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

1) Good live rock will be light, porous and have pods etc living in it. It will not necessarily have corraline algae on it because this also depends if the rock was exposed to light

2) When transporting the rock either take a container with water or wet newspaper and wrap the rocks up. Keep the rocks out of water for as short as possible. The longer its out the more life will die. So it can be out for a few minutes but you are bond to loose life anyway. Don't stress too much about it because the life will recover. Give your self like a 1hr window

3)Put up pics of this.

4) you should have 1kg of LR for every 10L, so in your case thats 4kgs.. So I would use 4kg's of top quality stuff (expensive) because it will look nicer lol

hope that helped

Reef Maniac likes this.
  4. COMMANDO

COMMANDO

Yeah, please post some pics. I want to follow this thread as I will also have to purchase my LR shortly.

5. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I will post a pic within a few minutes. Why I ask is I would like to get some rock close to where I work(eastrand) and take it home (westrand) just wanted to know how safe that would be?

So below is the pic I was talking about

[​IMG]

It looks legit?

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  6. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

It would be fine to transport it like that. I bought my Live Rock in Hatfield and transported it all the way to Randburg and it was fine. I even had corals on the rocks which survived the trip. The rock was probably out of the water for about 2- 3 hours.

I wrapped it in wet newspaper and did the trip.

My advice is to try get hold of Fiji rock, Indonesian or Tongan Branching rock. It's beautiful shapes make it fantastic for aquascaping. Also, it's lighter and more pourus than Kenyan.

Good luck and post pics!

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry to hijack but Great thread ... Hows this for LR ... What would you guys expect to pay for this.....

[​IMG]

Here's a close-up

[​IMG]

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry bud looks like good base rock but looks a bit dense so it would be harder for your goggas to do their thing ..... Maybe use this on the floor and get some of the "good stuff"to put ontop .....

9. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

Ok cool, I guess with a max of 4kg LR I should just get the good stuff! Any recommended places I could get without selling a kidney?

Cheers

G

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

Try and buy rock from the guys here. You can get it much cheaper. Try to get LR from different parts of the world. Kenyan is generally the cheapest

11. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Yeah, try the forum, or try exotic pets in boksburg. They have some really nice tongan branching which looks amazing.

12. COMMANDO

COMMANDO

Yep, Kenya LR currently the most affordable, but with the current resetrictions (some say "ban") on import of Kenya LR, prices may increase.

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hows these
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Bump .... No comments on my rocks ....... Can get the first 2 for R100/KG and the rest for R75/KG ... worth it or not?

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Good advice there from Tremayn :thumbup:

I can only add: If possible, choose rock that is thicker or rounder, rather than flat pieces. "Branching" and "finger" rocks looks very nice, but does not have near the filtration capacity (IME) that "fatter" rocks have.

Impatient £$%^&*! :biggrin:

The rock in the second photo of post no 6 looks very nice.

The rock in the last photo looks a bit thin to my liking - it would be good for decorative purposes, but won't have much of an anaerobic zone to break down NO3, by the looks of it... but yes, I think it looks worth R75.00/kg

Hennie

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

it looks like sandstone.

If you only need 4kg, rather go for the top qulity expensive stuff

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Cool thanx Hennie

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  18. AndrévN

AndrévN

I agree hennie. i also like the bigger bulkier ones. more space for corals coraline and growth. But chic have a look at the ones with the white on them they where most likely behind other rocks and couldn't get light hence them being white on certain spots. If you have good lr already they will be seeded in no time at alll and will quickly develop life like coraline etc. So try and push him a bit on the pricing then it would be a great option. But the second pic looks better as hennie says they have loads of coraline and life on them already so they well cured. And was exposed to light. :whistling:

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

Thanx Max ... but is that second pic worth R100/KG especially since Perky Pets thread about the ban on importing LR and the possibility of price increase ... the age old supply and demand syndrome ..... might as well grab them while its hot (and still reasonably priced)

20. AndrévN

AndrévN

Ill push him for R75 or less a kg looking at the quantity lol. Most guys on here run from 55 to 75 a kg and even go less if youd buy in bulk, but yes i would think it aint bad as the rock is fully cured and not full of nastys to be honest chic. So it might be worth it, maybe get him to chuck in some extra for the effort of buying quantity, just make sure they are sort of dry when you weigh to buy else you paying for water weight. The lfs lr gets weighed almost dry to get the actual weight and to save money on shipping as you dont want to pay R100/kg for water do you.

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK ... Will try but they also know how hard it is getting to get the good stuff ... so will try to twist their arm ....

Recent Posts