Spot is getting a little obese!

pkc

Reaction score
My blue ring or as some like to use the Latin name for my one of hapalochlaena fasciata, its Just one of at least ten types of blue rings, we call the little fella spot.

Its impossible where it is to get out which is a good idea considering they can potentially kill, quite affectively!
This is spot touch testing me some month’s back while I was free diving with the guys, that’s why I caught it; it didn’t act scared or aggressive and was almost friendly, if that is possible?
If it acted the usual I wouldn’t have bothered with it, we see heaps of them,I haven't kept one in over 20 years if I remember right.

The next one will be the tiny little red ones that appeared in our waters around ten years back, as yet there is near no info on them, well they aren't poisonous, that's for sure, I have used several for fish food and a couple of the guys have had them get fluffy on the carpet,lol!

My wife and any one who looks at it in its tank are amazed that it stays put and looks tough and pulsates until I look at it, then it does its dance and starts waving and gets excited.
blue-ring-2_zps10a3d85e.jpg

Here it is pretending it’s the big hunter, it did get a banded shrimp that day, but only because I scared the shrimp, it’s hopeless usually.
Look at those colours, now that's why if you are careful, you keep a blue ring and not the other boring coloured ocys!
hunt-2-_zpsdd25319f.jpg

I just gave it two peps and a crab, now it looks obese just laying there on the power head out of the water, it does that quite a lot if it isn’t waving at me for food, I think it likes the vibrations??
Its near 110 mill long now,so its big and obese,lol. it may not have much time left, they don't have a huge life span, when that happens I will get a little red one and study it.Saves getting bored with the hobby.
I realise it is not obese, that’s the way they hang onto their food while they crunch it up with that beak, if you didn't know that, then it looks chubby,lol.
ocy-feeding-2--19-12-13-_zps58cebf59.jpg

Stunning little fella @pkc! what is their expected lifetime?
We dont get the spotted ones here in SA at all... (Or at lease as far as I know..) would love to keep one in the future if I can get one...

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont get the spotted ones here in SA at all... (Or at lease as far as I know..) would love to keep one in the future if I can get one...
They come in from time to time as fillers... ;)

My uncle back when I was a child had a pet one from an area called Brisbane waters in NSW in a modified gold fish bowl for nearly 5 years that he caught food for it at the front of his place where I use to hunt for sea horses and leafy sea dragons as a kid.
Their life expectancy is around two years, mine is quite large, larger then I have ever seen or is described in books, so maybe it is old, who knows, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom