Sponsors

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by gMAN, 26 Jun 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Hi all, I was just wondering what one has to do to become a sponsor on this forum? And do they actually get checked out so far as the quality of LS and products that they sell? My reason for asking is that when you see that a certain LFS is a sponsor , you automatically are put to trust them in what you're being sold but sometimes it's not the case.
    Is it all about paying the forum an advertising fee and they are given the status of trusted supplier?
    Just asking because of a recent bad experience and also for noobs that are not so sure where to purchase? :wave2:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN Thread Starter with the plan

:beatdeadhorse5:

4. mnd123

mnd123

dont think you gonna get a reply to this bud, not good for business :)

But I too wouldnt mind an answer (like are the sponsors checked for MAC etc) or is it just about paying yer fees and getting on?

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

You know a MAC lfs that wants to sponsor MASA?

6. AndrévN

AndrévN

All the sponsors on here has been supported and they all good suppliers in my opinion. Ive had fights with moolis HEHE and that doesnt make him bad cause i was pissed off dude. But maybe im wrong.

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Well there is an application form and a list of requirements, that are available for all to see.
    How often do you suggest we do these checks, daily, weekly, monthly..........Do we have any volunteers out there willing to pay travel and accommodation costs as i will gladly do these checks?
    Well in all honesty that is what we hope for, but we also understand from a shops point of view that it is very difficult to please everybody all of the time.
    See now here you are implying its just about the money, if that were the case we would have 35-40 sponsors as we have declined many requests for what ever reason. I am not saying we dont need the money too keep the entire show running. Given the size we have grown to and the strain taken by our server the next step left open to us is a private server, again any volunteers out there willing to donate the thousands per month for this. Believe me the current sponsors we have at the moment wont cover this expense.
    Again we cant please everybody all of the time.
    Let me ask you something here when you go into a shopping centre and you have a problem with a shop do you take it up with the shop or the shopping centre management?

Now here is an argument i haven't heard in years...... MAC, the last i heard, it wasn't worth the paper it was written on but if anything has changed please enlighten us as to the pros of this especially as how it relates to SA?
    As for the money thing answered above.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin

+1

The term MAC has been over rated. I can go on and on about it but the bottom line is that it was an over rated selling tool. The original management team resigned a few years back and I've since not followed their developments. I would be interested if this has changed and if MAC is now actually "ensuring" quality marine livestock in the trade.

9. Trev

Trev

10. Alan

Not at all, didn't even know they had a shop going, having said that i would like to wish them all the best with their new venture.

11. lIghty

lIghty

Don't laught!, but whats the hell is MAC?

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/

in principle a fantastic idea, i fear in execution however it is not worth a whole bunch... it is voluntary and i dont know how effective the control / monitoring is

13. Alan

:lol: Sorry.
    Hell i cant even remember the ins and outs of it, but it was an organisation set up to ensure the proper import and export and quality of live stock. I remember at the time the concept was excellent but it did end up going south and as stated above the original management team resigned, i really dont recall the story at all as it really didn't have any affect here in SA. I just remember thinking that it would end up a logistical nightmare, google is your friend here.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2010
  14. lIghty

lIghty

Ohhh OK.....

15. gMAN

Alan, thank you for the response, as mentioned, my reason for this post was cos of a bad experience where i purchased to nennies that were actually bleached but was assured that was their color, and being a sponsor, I took his word for it but found out a few days later that they were actually sick. Being a sponsor and knowing the latin names of species, does that qualify you of knowing the health status of your LS? As a noob walking into a store and the owner throws all the fancy names at you, you gonna think he knows his shit but does he? You see a new sponsor on the forum & you think, hell, lets give him the support, after all, he is a sponsor here but is it gonna be worth your while? Maybe do background check as to how long they've actually been in marines or something like that before granting them sponsor status? I know that it cost money to run this (absolutely fantastic) forum & it's not feasible to go round to every sponsor and check them out as it cost money as well but surely members in the sponsors area would be willing to? i have gained quite a bit of knowledge since joining this forum and all it's cost me is a bit of bandwidth, if any of the guys here asked me to run an errand in my area, I would gladly do so :thumbup: Anywho, maybe I'm the only guy out here that's had this problem with a new sponsor, think in future, I'll just stick to the longer running trusted guys.......

16. Anemone

Anemone

Always do your own research before you puchase. We were all new to the hobby at one time, we all made mistakes along the way, eventually we learn.

17. vatso

vatso

gMAN I hear you & yes the LFS should know their stuff but what about you as the buyer? why is it not your fault? you have internet & can research the species you about to purchase! you as the buyer have all the power & make the final choice. We can not ask that this web site or any other person protect you from making decisions. Don't buy if you not sure

18. gMAN

Vatso, have done research, yes the end decision is with me and I'm not blaming this forum, but like I said, if the owner of the store says it is, then you take his word for it and it makes the decision for you as the buyer easier...

19. Anemone

Anemone

gMan, which anemones are you talking about? If memory serves me right, you've had a few. I remember discussing the carpet anemone and lighting with you a while back.

20. gMAN

Hi Brenda, the LTA was sold as per your advice that there might be war between it & the carpet, then the carpet was sold to a fellow reefer with a much larger setup than mine as it was getting quite big(it was & to my knowledge is still very healthy), i purchased the 2 BTA a week after selling the carpet.

21. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

One of the best reasons for belonging to a forum such as MASA, and IMHO dealing with a sponsor to such a forum, is the virtually instantaneous peer review which comes with the territory. I have made a few errors in postings over the years, and without fail experienced aquarists such as Alan have questioned the validity of my "facts". In my opinion, the same mechanism should apply to all the sponsors - if you had a bad experience, I believe that you should state it in their sponsor forum. I don't mean that one should attack them outright, or slander them or try to damage their reputation if you're just unhappy about something trivial, but, as in this case, I cannot see why a simple post to the "offending" sponsor's forum, stating the problem, would not have beneficial results - perhaps one of the sponsor's employees made the mistake, and the owner could rectify the problem...

You could (should!), of course, also add a negative "score" to the offending sponsor's reputation (those green blocks below the person's name, to the left of each post), by clicking on the "Thanks" button on the bottom left of each post, and selecting "I disapprove". This will deduct reputation, and could even result in a few red blocks, which would be a sure warning to other possible customers... When potential customers consider dealing with a sponsor, they should check up on the sponsor's reputation as a matter of course - as an example, I would much rather deal with someone like Lanzo, who has 9 rep blocks, than with a person who only has one green block (not naming names here :whistling:) because the rep tells me that he has been active on the forum with good, positive advise, and that he has most likely not accrued many negative rep points.

Anyway, just my opinion on this...

Hennie

Recent Posts