Sponsors and The For Sale Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by HOT SAUCE, 8 Jan 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Hi all

this is something i've been thinking about for some time now and want to put forward to the mods, MASA members and the sponsors.
    i've noticed few times a sponsor bidding (dibsing or buying) for goods that members have put on the for sale forum. i dont have an exact count nor im pointing out to a particular sponsor or sale but i've seen it happening few times.
    i believe as per rules and regulations of MASA a sponsor is someone who is a retailer of hardware and/or livestock and has a shopfront and is a registered company etc. etc. and most importantly has access to goods and livestock at wholesale price something the normal registered member wouldn't have.
    ive read the rules and regulations regarding sponsors and there it says that a sponsor posting outside his/hers thread is posting as a normal member but my argument is that we all want to enjoy the forums to learn and help each other and also if we are lucky to buy something for a good price that another member does not need... at the same time the sponsor should be able to get himself/herself the same item in a brand new condition for more or less the same price from their supplier and let us the common folk get a good deal or two.

again i want to highlight that im not attacking a seller or a sponsor nor im referring to particular sale where that might've happen nor im sour because some sale did not go my way :) .. i am a IT retailer and i know i have access to hardware at whole sale prices and this applies to any retailer anywhere

My 2c

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zayd

zayd

I personally have not seen this occur, but if it is taking place then I agree with you.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

its not something that happens everyday but it has happened few times .. i could post a link if necessary but that's not the point

5. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Please pm me the link

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

PM sent... we just had 3 minutes of rain and the internet is sooooooo slow

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

As you stated, outside their own forums they just normal members. Provided they stay within the For Sale rules I dont see this as an issue.

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

its unfair because they have access to everything they need at very low prices and we don't... so why prevent somebody the chance to buy something at a good price.. people look for bargains because not everyone can afford to purchase everything they need for the hobby, a sponsor can just buy it from the wholesaler.

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sponsors have customers, some of them may be asking or looking for second hand equipment if they can't afford new stuff, I'm pretty sure the sponsors are not buying things for themselves, unless it's a rare fish or something. This is not an issue and no action will be taken. :)

10. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

As @459b said
    So what if they have access to the suppliers are they not entitled to make a living as much as you have the right to get a bargain on second hand item. He conducted the sale in the correct way.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

OK then be it.... let the those who are privileged to be able to buy brand new equipment at super low prices block someone who is maybe starting a new tank or just getting into the hobby. now we are bidding for second hand goods against the very same people that we are supposed to be supporting and buying from but i guess its just a dog eat dog world thing.

12. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

not that i have any part to do with this thread......but should we spin this wheel and attack countless members who try go direct to importers and wholesalers and lie to try get wholesale prices????
    i cant tell you how many clients of mine have all gone direct to importers in jhb and tell them they have a "marine bussiness" in kzn, open an account and then get wholesale lists
    i even have cctv footage of a x-client going through my garbage bags on a wed morning looking for boxes with my suppliers details on ............
    true story......
    whenever he calls now....i justr say im not in....or i dont have stock!!!1.....and off course...have a nice day...lol

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@HOT SAUCE
    If a sponsor has access to cheaper better products, why would he bother buying a more expensive second hand goods? your statement makes no sense.... It would be bad business.

I assume you where out bid/dibs in a thread?

14. Afsal

Afsal

Really bru , i'm shocked

15. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Its become such a normal occurrence, you spend a week advising a customer on a product, eventually explaining EVERYTHING you know, only later for your supplier to forward you his inquiry to them to buy direct :-(

16. Fred d

Fred d

from a sellers point of view , I don't really care who buys my goods so long as the cash gets to my hand in a timely fashion .

from a buyers point of view it makes no real diffs to me either .
    having said this ... I don't get why the guys with access to new goods at almost the same price as the secondhand goods would want to bid or purchase stuff off the forum ...

good quality secondhand hardware at a great price is what keeps this hobby alive for me and when looking at most of the sales threads the guys are forever clambering to get the first dibs on said goods . this makes me think that there is more demand than supply .

that's probably why some of us get all itchy and scratchy when a sponsor snaps up a bargain before we can .

DO REMEMBER THOUGH ... most business owners pay themselves a salary and usually have an aquarium at home that needs to fit their own budget (according to their own salary) .

17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

i didn't say that... i said more or less the same price meaning that it might cost slightly more (but new with warranty)

no i wasn't and i mentioned that in the PM i sent to @LCornelius .... i just saw the dibs in the for sale thread and thought its unfair... just my opinion as i mentioned above, if everyone else thinks its cool then be it. however i noticed that there was someone who agreed with what i was saying but the mods removed it, so maybe i'm not the only one who feels the same way

@TheWaterboy... thats not cool but unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.. people are people and they will always try to cut corners... as for the guy digging through your trash ... lol no comment

Last edited: 9 Jan 2014
  19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I thought this forum was a information exchange one. Not a market place..... MPO

21. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

i aggre lol but to me it doesn't make sense to be buying second hand items when you can get a new one... give a chance to the less privileged imo

Recent Posts