Splendid Leopard Wrasse

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by kssquared, 17 Jan 2008.

1. kssquared

kssquared

Anyone got any advice on this fish ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi KSSquared - yeah - it's a wrasse - even though I JUST LOVE them to bits - I don't trust them at all and won't put another one in my tank again.

I had a Queen Coris Wrasse (google - you'll see it's a beautiful fish) in my tank - AND at some stage I got some red star-fish - BIG MISTAKE!
    Wrasse eats star-fish! AND hermit crabs - I started losing all my star-fish AND hermits!

Otherwise - if you want to keep it in a fish only without inverts - by all means - GO GOR IT!!!

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

[SIZE=-2]Description: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]This dramatically colored wrasse is a great reef fish and is often seen cruising all over the tank looking for food. It is harmless to ornamental invertebrates, clams, and coral. It is quite peaceful and should not bother any other fish.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]Recommended Tank size:[/SIZE][SIZE=-2] minimum 20 gallon
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]Food and diet:[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Feed a varied diet of frozen prepared foods, minced fresh shrimp, and a good flake food. Try to feed at least twice a day.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]Reef Compatability:[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Great Reef fish. This fish is not a threat to ornamental invertebrates.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]Level of Care: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Moderate[/SIZE]

5. viper357

6. kssquared

kssquared Thread Starter

Hmmm, conflicting info there Viper. What you think, and has anyone had one ?

7. viper357

Yip, that's reefkeeping for you :lol:

I'm think we might get these locally, maybe wait for Mekaeel to comment, maybe he has caught one and can tell you something about it.

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I don't think the info is that conflicting, it is a beautiful fish, no doubt, it can be kept in a reef tank with hermits etc ONLY IF the reef is well matured - which means plenty of pods that go with it, the wrasse will only start to eat hermits if it is getting hungry, think about it, soft pod or rock hard hermit? so really you have to make sure your system is big enough and mature enough for the fish you desire (same as mandarin)

9. jacquesb

Hi Wee-Man - I think that you have hit the nail on the head. The time that I had the wrasse in my tank, my tank was indeed not mature enough. AND the tank I had was a 4 ft. So, clearly not big enough to handle this type of fish. It most likely did not get filled up on the small amount of pods I had in the tank at the time.
    BUT, as I said - I still will not get one again.

I WILL be researching the fish that I put in my tank MUCH better before I buy. Unless I get to that instinctive impulsive purchase! Then I will most likely regret it again later on! :)

KSSquared - something I was meaning to tell you - I appreciate it that you come to us FIRST to gather info on this fish, before buying it.

All of us do it - it's MUCH better buying fish this way than being sorry later on!

10. kssquared

kssquared Thread Starter

Thanks Jacquesb. I have not bought the fish, but have booked it. For this exact reason as I want to make as few mistakes as possible !!! Think I will be passing on this one !!

11. Smithers

Smithers

Hi all, I have one in my tank. Non-aggressive and is very beautiful. These fish are found locally but do not see them often. Mine has never touched my corals or attacked another fish. Mine takes fish food quite happily (Ocean Nutrition and Hikari) and is normally the first to start eating. I had a Cleaner wrasse, checkerboard wrasse, 2 iridis wrasse, 1 guineafowl wrasse and my splendid leopard wrasse at one stage. All big competitors for food. Out of all the wrasses the Anampses is my personal favorite.

12. jacquesb

The best advice I can perhaps give you KSSquared, is to leave a fish at a LFS for a while, UNTIL the LFS person can prove to you that the fish eats. You will notice that more likely than none, the fish that you want to/wanted to buy would have died within the 1st few days. If that same fish is still at the LFS a week later, and is eating then, THEN take the fish home. ANY decent LFS would allow you to either put a deposit down or just keep the fish for you for that period of time.
    If the fish makes it through the first week at the LFS, it should definitely survive in your tank once you take it home!

In such a way we can assist in the amount of fish die-ing that we buy.....

Good luck, and happy fish hunting!

13. LikesFish

LikesFish

I had one for more than a year - fat and happy. The trick is to get one that is taking frozen food at the LFS. Mine never bothered anything in the tank as they stay very small. Peaceful and gentle...

I had to sell mine when I tore down the tank.

Recent Posts