spiny blue lobster or painted crayfish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by shane.kirk, 23 Apr 2012.

1. shane.kirk

shane.kirk

Hi there, i am looking to get a spiny blue lobster or painted crayfish for my Nano 24 aquarium. does anyone know if I can get one and if so, where can i get one from?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Shane, I see you only have one post so welcome should be in order !

I dont know the Nano 24 range of aquariums , but the name suggests nano size (thus small), both these guys grow biggish , are messy eaters (thus create havoc with water paramaters etc)...not qa good idea in my opinion.

Why not go to new members section , tell us more about your setup , ideas and long term plans

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA! from the sounds of it the nano 24 is 24galons, this i think is much to small like FransSny has suggested. We would love to see what setup you have and hear where you see your tank going in the future :thumbup:

5. magman

magman

Hi and welcome,

I got a couple of them in my tank and I really love them, friends and kids love feeding them as they jump on your hands to feed. I think they make a great clean up crew, mine are not shy and crawl around the tank all day, they used to only come out at night, but now they not shy.

But a few things I have learnt with them,

Boxers love eating them, they are the only thing I have ever seen a boxer eat, but when they small, and you have big boxers, the boxers will stick their claw in the hole and pull the cray out, I have introduced a whole lot in the tank at once before, and that same night they were all decimated by boxers. This tank build, I have gone for smaller boxers and no problems.

I also did have 1 bigger cray eat a smaller one.

If they get hungry, they may eat small fish like chromis, just a warning, I have never suffered a loss, but be careful,

otherwise enjoy,

also @HenkHugo may help, I know he also keeps some of the lobsters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Nope not me. I have kreef aquaculture clients but i dont have them myself....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. shane.kirk

shane.kirk Thread Starter

Hi there, thank you for the advise. i cought a small spiny blue lobster off the wild coast over easter along with some boxers, yip i found out the hard way that boxers do love eating these little guys, along with my star fish as well. i have since given my boxes away and would like to find another lobster for my tank. although i have a small Nano 24, which is small, i am still new to marine aqariums so I have alot to learn. eventually I would love to upgrade to something bigger.

Recent Posts