speech topics?

Reaction score
i have been given a speech to do for school and I obviously want to do it on marine life:thumbup: but im not too sure what i should speak about, i want it to be something a bit different that most people dont hear about everyday

if you can please help me with some good topics i would really appreciate it:)

Depending how much time you still have until your speech to do some research.
First thing that shot into my mind is, that in the future you will see corals only in marine tanks and not in our oceans any more. It would be about your hobby and about raising awareness about the climate change, which we can not stop right in time anyway. There articles about it on the internet and I can also have a look in the coral magazine newsletter. There was such article.

Just whatever you do, don't tell them fish do actually have personalities. Nobody will let me live it down 'cause I once mentioned the distinct personality differences in my goldfish :whistling:

Seriously now, you can't fail with a environment speech, it's a current issue, and most people in grade 11 like us don't know anything about what is happening to the creatures that they never lay eyes on who live on the bottom of the sea.. It won't be something they hear about everyday :)

J
Seriously now, you can't fail with a environment speech, it's a current issue, and most people in grade 11 like us don't know anything about what is happening to the creatures that they never lay eyes on who live on the bottom of the sea.. It won't be something they hear about everyday :)

That is so true! Sad, but true. :(

what about the topic on what it takes to setup a marine tank. The cycle time. And why you simply cannot go and buy a tank, clown and anemone on the same day. Just because some kids saw NEMO.

Last edited:
Corals in general - Many people are not aware that corals on animals so a talk of where they fit into the animal kingdom, the different categories of corals (SPS, LPS softies) , how reefs are formed, importance of corals in the ecosystem, threats to corals i.e global warming, destruction by man etc.

Or get more specific and pick something interesting like

Mantis Shrimps

Seahorses

Symbiotic relationships on a reef (eg shrimp and goby, clown and nennie, corals and damsels, even zooxanthellae and corals themselves etc. - I am sure there are plenty more

Toxins of the Deep - Plenty toxic fish, corals, molluscs etc. Could be interesting to see their reactions when you explain what a zooanthid is, esp if they have been to the North Coast over Christmas and realise how close they actually came to dying :lol:

The comment above about Nemo could also be a topic.

Finding Nemo - Who's Who in the Fishtank (the reality and challenges of keeping these species together in practise)

thanks for the advise guys

Symbiotic relationships on a reef (eg shrimp and goby, clown and nennie, corals and damsels, even zooxanthellae and corals themselves etc.

i really like this idea i think it could be quite interesting
the speech is due in 2 weeks so i still have a bit of time to do more research and prepare

What ever the topic you need to consider the recipients. No use blabbing on about some scientific aspects to accountants. :)

There is a diving Co in Sodwana that has an educational thing called "SEX on the REEF"

The gist is the way different species produce young. This type of talk will not become to technical but very interesting to the listener. @LuckyFish will oblige with the different methods fish use to reproduce.

Good Luck

And Oh... we need a copy of the speech posted here or we are waisting our time. :)

Last edited:
what i am talking about is ... Clown fish have one female and many males in the breeding colony. Anthias have many females to a male. Some pair for life. Others are community spawners etc..

Last edited:
What about doing a speech and little practicle - Fraging Zoos or sps and mounting them on a frag plug.

This way you can show the guys and girls that they can propagate coral , and sell them to make extra cash - it will get them into the marine hobby and increase the availability of frags that they can sell trade or supply a lfs.

Good luck with it - whatever you decide.
David

Evolution vs Creationism
the role fish plays on both sides of the debate - how it features in religion, how we probably have a fish as a forefather that decided to walk out of the ocean....

...on 2nd thought, maybe too controversial.

what i am talking about is ... Clown fish have one female and many males in the breading colony. Anthias have many females to a mail. Some pair for life. Others are community spawners etc..
Your iPad's autocorrect is letting you down there old chap.:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom