Special blend

My tank has been running for about ten months now, can you tell me what special blend does please, I understand it provides bacteria. Would it help with ph, alkalinity, mg, ca, all that "stuff" or is it something completely different? I hope my question makes sense.

It wont alter any of your parameters. Creates a great eco system in your tank wich means healthier fish and corals....thats what i would say....

i have had special blend bleach all my my leathers and mushrooms after dosing it and i followed all the right dosaged. i have now moved to zeovits zeobak

I wasnt saying the product is bad or what ever as i knw lots have succes all i said is what happened to me. the person asked whats or opinion of the product so thats what we all did. i had a crap experiance so i will never use it again, maybe just to start a system but not one with any corals in again.

Allow me to reply.

I actually discussed the claims you made with the manufacturer during a recent trip to the factory. I can assure you there is no scientific way that a "bad batch" can happen nor is there any scientific/biological way that it could have bleached your corals as you claim. If you had a "bad batch" we would have had thousands of complaints from all over the world. The manufacturer holds back samples of each batch of product, in each size it was bottled in for us to test should we receive any complaints. I would look at other environmental issues like new cleaning materials. neighbors spraying poison close to your boundary etc etc etc

SpecialBlend contains only natural bacteria that is not genetically modified nor does it contain any pathogenic bacteria. The product is manufactured in a sterile, pressurized building to the highest standards set out by the FDA, USDA and EPA.

If you send me a PM with an address and phone number where our couriers can get hold of you I will gladly send you a 450ml bottle free to try out again just to make 100% certain you don't like it :thumbup:

Free samples - not sure if I like special blend, :p. carlosF makes a good case:p but a free sample could twist my arm:thumbup:

Every reefer should consentrate on establishing AND maintaining a good and healthy bacteria colony, and if you follow the Special blend programme, that is exactly what you will do in the marine aquarium.

and for everyone on this thread im not a hater of the product i just hated my bad experience.

Hi carlosF.
Every one hates a bad experience, but please take Henks offer and try the product again, it is really a good product and I promise you, it really works and its really beneficial to your system.

@HenkHugo I have a been using specially blend for quite a while and had really good results with it but I have always been wondering about something.

When I buy a new bottle it has that lekker smell, then after a few weeks it starts to fade.
When the smell fades does that mean the product has lost its strength?
How long is the shelf life, before and after opening?

Last edited by a moderator:
@HenkHugo I have a been using specially blend for quite a while and had really good results with it but I have always been wondering about something.

When I buy a new bottle it has that lekker smell, then after a few weeks it starts to fade.
When the smell fades does that mean the product has lost its strength?
How long is the shelf life, before and after opening?

Love the stuff and will always use it but this is an interesting question. Should I be buying those nice big bottles or would the smaller bottles be better if I take a while to work through the content??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes our good ol' friend H2S :D The H2S that you smell when you open the bottle is part of the magic of Special Blend. During the "brewing" process the bacteria gives off H2S and it puts them to sleep. Once you open the bottle the Hydrogen Sulphide vents off and the bacteria becomes alive, when you close the bottle again the H2S will take the place of the air in the bottle and the bacteria goes back to sleep. Obviously the bigger the gap the more nutrients they need to produce the H2S to put them selves to sleep.

The shelf life once opened is around 6 months if the bottle isnt exposed to extreme conditions like direct sunlight, high heat etc.

@chas, you can get from dorrys pets plus they have great service....;)
Ok thanks. Couldn't find it on their website so I thought let me rather be sure before having to maybe drive around. Not much time for LFS hopping after work on a Friday :)

Ok thanks. Couldn't find it on their website so I thought let me rather be sure before having to maybe drive around. Not much time for LFS hopping after work on a Friday :)

They definetly stock it. pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom