special blend and new(and old) tank water

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by SApicoreef, 21 Dec 2012.

1. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

I recently moved houses and also obviously my tank which was sitting in large water containers for about a week and a half. The tank at the old house was running for about 3 months. It went through its cycle and all its algae problems and that was all fine before I moved the tank but i didn't add any live stock as we were going to move.

I made a rookie error and left the live rock and sand in a container WITHOUT water circulating or a heater BUT it had water covering the rocks(don't think that helped though)

so it came time to setting up the tank again and i did everything... got everything stable again and working properly(skimmers going crazy though) and did a 25% water change

then added 200ml of special blend to get some live back in the tank. i am running bio pellets and did keep the old pellets in a container but again with no circulation or heater

when do you think it will be okay to start adding the CUC and some fish and soft corals

i run a skimmer rated for 3 times my water volume, bio pellets, carbon in a reactor and a filter sock so my filtration system is top notch.

any comments/questions/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s this tank has future plans of being an sps dominated tank... dont worry im only planning on adding those in about 4-6 months so i can fully understand my system and its needs BUT i have seen tanks setup with special blend and less than a month later fully stock with fish, inverts and sps

thanks again everyone

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

Let the tank cycle again. Just to be sure. And keep an eye on you paremeters.Every now and then. Even with special blend in the mix you cant take chances. Made the same mistakes a couple of weeks ago. :p

4. crispin

crispin

see thoughts in blue above

5. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

@crispin I put brand new carbon in there.. I didn't rinses the biopellets but did add some more in the mix of them. if i have algae i use red sea nopox as it works like a charm and once it goes its gone.. also you said something about DOC under the skimmer quote...what is DOC

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. crispin

crispin

DOC is dissolved organic compounds....the stuff skimmers take out :)

7. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

oh... thanks.. could it also be from the special blend and must i take the skimmate out cause its really clear

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Nope not the Special Blend. The bacteria in Special Blend eats the DOCs - normally users find that Special Blend reduces the skim-mate.

Recent Posts